20 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
themereactor says

I am also wondering why we cannot rate buyers. Buyers should be rated too Not only the authors.

While that sounds like fun there is no interaction between buyers and sellers until post -sale….its not like we can then NOT sell to them. Buyers have no vested interest in their usernames – if they got a bad name somehow then they would just sign up with a new username. Its authors who are trying to keep their reputations (and their items!).

658 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

Good thread. I agree that we need a better rating system or none at all. The rating system is very much based on good faith with the assumption that who ever is making the rating is not trying to hurt your project.

This system works nicely on an item that has many sales a day, because one can safely assume that there are more people wanting to do good than do bad. If your making few sales, say 1 – 5 a day, your doomed because 1 buyer out of 10 will leave a rating, all it takes is one bad rating to bring you down.

This penalty hit is not felt on items that have a large amount of sales, but hurts the majority of authors who sell 1-3 items on a good day. IMO, either fix the algorithm or remove it all together.

The current rating system is a morale-killing machine!

1005 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

..... This penalty hit is not felt on items that have a large amount of sales, but hurts the majority of authors who sell 1-3 items on a good day. IMO, either fix the algorithm or remove it all together. The current rating system is a morale-killing machine!

+1

1005 posts
+6 more
greenline says
||+762619|themereactor said-
Buyers have no vested interest in their usernames

I don’t agree. Buyers with good rating will receive better support, I might try harder and harder when offering support if I see they are serious too. And me as author I could react faster if I see it’s a good buyer with a potential to buy other stuff from me!

20 posts
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
themereactor says

I don’t agree. Buyers with good rating will receive better support, I might try harder and harder when offering support if I see they are serious too. And me as author I could react faster if I see it’s a good buyer with a potential to buy other stuff from me!

I just don’t see a reasonable or efficient way to moderate that. There are likely as many sellers who would rate a buyer poorly as retribution for not leaving a feedback or whatever.

Regrettably there is no good way to deal with this.

I do think that the stars are useful quantifiers but at the same token if a rating of less than 3 stars is being provided mandatory explanations are required. Authors should be able to flag these same comments / feedback pieces for the quality of the response ie if they leave “BAD ITEM, NO BUY!” then an author should be allowed to ask for a site operator to review and potentially remove that feedback AND rating from their item.

However, this does create a system whereby additional resources need to be applied by Envato to essentially moderating these “tools” – do they want to do that? The current model, though infuriating, is essentially hands-off and cost-neutral for them.

1005 posts
+6 more
greenline says

Well, I definitely reported that comment ( I just forgot to request the removal of rating). I really am a supportive person, I work hard on what I do and people just leaving comments without a good explanation just make me have the feeling that things are not right.

I see everyday well-known and best-selling items negative-rated by people with bad intentions. And I feel sorry for the authors because I know how hard they work for their items!

442 posts here for love
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
nCrafts says

I’m glad to hear that. The current system punishes authors rather than helps them.

From our experiences with some people its absolutely amazing what they think you should be doing for them and how much they won’t do for themselves or their expectations that you’ll rewrite entire chunks of your plugin because they want it to do something it was never intended to do. When you tell them you can’t or won’t then they give you a 1 star rating!

I would personally think that if you’re going to give the item 3 or less you MUST fill out a survey explaning why. Not all people but alot of the people who purchase on here think that the ten bucks they paid entitles them to dozens of hours of support or free services.

Agreed. Ebay follows this system, and it’s pretty effective.

1005 posts
+6 more
greenline says

I’m glad to hear that. The current system punishes authors rather than helps them.

From our experiences with some people its absolutely amazing what they think you should be doing for them and how much they won’t do for themselves or their expectations that you’ll rewrite entire chunks of your plugin because they want it to do something it was never intended to do. When you tell them you can’t or won’t then they give you a 1 star rating!

I would personally think that if you’re going to give the item 3 or less you MUST fill out a survey explaning why. Not all people but alot of the people who purchase on here think that the ten bucks they paid entitles them to dozens of hours of support or free services.
Agreed. Ebay follows this system, and it’s pretty effective.

I don’t have enough words to say how much I agree with this!

20 posts
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
themereactor says

+2 ? :):):)

658 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Typps says

+2 ? :):):)

- 2 + 3 ^^

by
by
by
by
by
by