• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • United States
Siiimple says

Checking out Starkers for a solid starting framework – it doesn’t strike me as a particularly “bare bones” template, and wondered if anyone had experience working with it. Running a check in Theme Check on a clean installation shows dozens of REQUIRED notices and WARNINGS. Doesn’t seem like a great starting point to build out a independent framework when you have to immediately address a bunch of issues from the start.

315 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
SyamilMJ says

What were you using to build your themes before? :D

I’ve used Starkers to build custom websites from ground up, and it’s really good for that purpose. However it’ll be too much work to build it into a custom framework for commercial themes. Better to just start from scratch.

707 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
ChillThemes says

I turned http://underscores.me into my own little personal tool (didn’t have to do much as it was already done for you, I just went over every line of code and organized it to better suit my dev/design process, saved me so much time as sometimes I spend more time developing than designing), it comes with everything you need and a few cool extras (like Keyboard navigation for image attachment templates).

68 posts Siiimple
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • United States
Siiimple says

What were you using to build your themes before? :D I’ve used Starkers to build custom websites from ground up, and it’s really good for that purpose. However it’ll be too much work to build it into a custom framework for commercial themes. Better to just start from scratch.

I was just experimenting with the idea of using a different framework. I generally work with a framework I’ve built, using the Skeleton grid framework for the baseline. But I try to experiment with different approaches after each theme is done.

by
by
by
by
by
by