4 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Bluefishdesigns says

Hi, I am going around in circles. I want to set up an ecommerce shop. It’s for flowers. There will only be 12 products to choose from. So most of my pages will be information pages which I want to have a nice banner etc. I really like the Shoppica theme.

Where do I start. I have installed opencart. Should I try and get my head around that first or should I just download the theme and hope all fits into place. If anybody could send me off in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Thanks Clare.

347 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
kops says

Hi Clare,

With Opencart, Id definitely get all the products/product options, shipping rates, tax rates, checkout process, payment processor sorted out first. Get your head around the base system and then slap the theme on top of that and explore the extra options it gives you.

Having said that, if the majority of your pages are going to be information pages and you only have 12 products, perhaps consider a lighter alternative like woo commerce on wordpress where it’ll be simpler to manage the blog and static info pages.

4 posts
Bluefishdesigns says

Hi Clare,

With Opencart, Id definitely get all the products/product options, shipping rates, tax rates, checkout process, payment processor sorted out first. Get your head around the base system and then slap the theme on top of that and explore the extra options it gives you.

Having said that, if the majority of your pages are going to be information pages and you only have 12 products, perhaps consider a lighter alternative like woo commerce on wordpress where it’ll be simpler to manage the blog and static info pages.
4 posts
Bluefishdesigns says

Thank you. I did have this Ureka moment myself at around midday and then by 3’ o’clock I had done a full circle. Do you think woocommerce is a less professional option?

347 posts
  • United Kingdom
kops says

I don’t think professionalism comes into it; it’s just speccing out what you need then using the right tools for the job. I’d never use opencart for a site with only a few products because while it’s great at what it does, wordpress is far slicker and more flexible for general page creation. I haven’t used woocommerce extensively but from what I’ve seen, it’s easy to use and manage.

572 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

If you only have 12 products use Shopify. The self-hosted systems are all probably too much overhead and complication for a store of that size.

4 posts
Bluefishdesigns says

Thank you both for your replys. So Kops, essentially what you are saying is that Opencart is industrial strength and not necessary for my needs and I’d have more flexibility with woo.

What do you think of gravity Dept suggestion. I thought this would cost more as it’s a monthly subscription. I am very grateful for both your answers as I have wasted another day trying to decide!

347 posts
  • United Kingdom
kops says

I’m not saying Opencart is industrial strength but probably not necessary for your needs.

If the emphasis of your site is the information pages and the blog and you only have a few products then personally I’d go woocommerce but only because I’ve never used shopify as I, too, have been put off by the monthly subscription.

I’ve heard some great things about it though, primarily the themes and ease of use. Gravitydept is probably better placed to compare the two!

572 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

A self-hosted platform like Shopify is the cheapest way to launch a store. If you can’t afford $30/month, then you absolutely can’t afford to pay a developer on top of hosting the platform. It doesn’t matter if you use Magento, OpenCart, WordPress, etc. if you can’t afford to run that platform properly.

In a broader sense, if $30/month is too expensive for your store (regardless of platform) you should really be evaluating whether the business is viable at all.

ProgressionStudios
ProgressionStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
221 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • United States
+4 more
ProgressionStudios says

Huge fan of WooCommerce. You should just download WordPress + WooCommerce and try it out yourself. They are both free and you don’t need to purchase anything to try them out. WooCommerce will work with the default WordPress Theme. If you don’t like it, then try out Shopify or another solution (There are a million e-commerce solutions).

by
by
by
by
by
by