2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

Hi guys !

I received an email from my client this morning telling me that the project we are working on is on hold , I started a design last week for my personal site and it’s the first time I love a design I do for myself. I am waiting for the new redesign to upload my new theme and I want my personal site to be ready at the same time. I want some CMS functionnality and a blog for my site so …..

I think it’s time… to learn WP.

I have to say that I’m thrilled and I can’t wait to learn it.

I bought the E-book “How to be a Rockstar wordpress designer”, I also want to look at the video series here on the blog but there is a problem , some “days” are missing :(

I saw we can download it on iTunes , but I havent found it. Is there a place where all the series is complete ?

I know there is some really good coder for WP here so if you have any tips you wished you’d know when you start learning WP .. share it here please :)

Thanks guys , wish me luck ! :) Maybe I can update my progress on that thread if you guys are interested. :)

228 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
stevebluck says

I managed to code a whole wordpress site just using the plus tutorial on net tuts, now I’m very confident with it.

Here is the link:

Wordpress Beginner to Master 1- 3

Wordpress Beginner to Master 4-6

2952 posts
+10 more
DDStudios says
I managed to code a whole wordpress site just using the plus tutorial on net tuts, now I’m very confident with it.

Here is the link:

Thanks ! What is the difference between that and the Ebook from Rockable press ?

707 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ChillThemes says
Thanks ! What is the difference between that and the Ebook from Rockable press ?

I don’t have the Ebook from Rockable, but the WordPress Beginner to Master tutorial guides you through creating a portfolio theme for WordPress, and also touches on creating theme options(choose a category, multiple color schemes).

How I learned WordPress was by reading a few tutorials, using the WordPress Codex. Mostly just messing around with the WordPress template files, and studied existing themes/frameworks.

Here’s some links to some tutorials.

Creating a WordPress Theme
Creating a WordPress theme from scratch
So, you want to create WordPress themes
WordPress Themes Templates Tutorial

Creating WordPress Theme Options
Create an options page for your WordPress theme
How to create a theme options page for your WordPress theme
Create an awesome WordPress theme options page

Creating custom write panels in WordPress
Create custom write panels in WordPress

76 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
g_gilmore says

Last I checked all of these links worked for the WP Series on this site:

http://css-tricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3629

951 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Daan says

And what about this one; click

The multiURL from the ‘wordpress for designers’ series, on this site!

352 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
danharper says

Here is the link:

Thanks, I’m glad you liked it :) (I’m the author, btw).

I’d also recommend checking out the other to WordPress series’ on Net Plus – one by Jeffrey (editor of Nettuts & manager here) and the other by Harley (co-author of the Rockstar WordPress book with Collis).

Really depends which of our styles you prefer to learn by :) If you’re not a Plus member already, definitely join! $9 for these, and many others from the Tuts+ network.

2952 posts
+10 more
DDStudios says

Thanks guy ! I really appreciate it.

2952 posts
+10 more
DDStudios says

Just looked at 3-4 video from the series here on the blog ..

Oh-my-god ….

It’s just amazing. I can’t wait to start playing with it. I tought I loved design more than code .. Pheww .. lol and when I think I saw a post here yesterday from someone complaining and telling WP suck because he couldn’t make a static page without a sidebar unless he deleted all sidebar from all pages .. HAHA ! .. I just saw how easy it is to do and it made me laugh really hard re-thinking about that dude who spent 14 hours and smash 1 pc .. or 2 .. I think it was 3 pc actually …

Anyway .. it’s late and I can’t wait tomorrow to finish desining my theme + coding it in HTML (as I saw , I think its preferable to code it directly in WP but I want to sell it in HTML first so.. )

Thanks again guys , will keep you updated with my wonderfull trip to WP land.

edit

Is it me or tweaking a theme to work with WP really look like you have a nice car and then you install a big powerfull engine under it to do whatever you want ? except it doesn’t impress chicks .. unless she’s a designer I guess .. damn I wish my GF were a designer ..

951 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Daan says
Anyway .. it’s late and I can’t wait tomorrow to finish desining my theme + coding it in HTML (as I saw , I think its preferable to code it directly in WP but I want to sell it in HTML first so.. )
Hmm.. I tend to create a HTML version first, so I can get all the CSS right and such, and then substitute some parts with wp code, works faster with me :)
Is it me or tweaking a theme to work with WP really look like you have a nice car and then you install a big powerfull engine under it to do whatever you want ? except it doesn’t impress chicks .. unless she’s a designer I guess .. damn I wish my GF were a designer ..

Yeah, sortof :)

by
by
by
by
by
by