86 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
roshaneingram says

This has probably been answered before but all the threads seem old I didn’t want to post in them. But I want to start doing wordpress themes for TF and for client work. Now would it be best to start my own framework from scratch or is it better off to get one of the theme starters that’s already out there. Also if I create it from scratch one I could just reuse majority of my code over n over right? Just want to get some clarifications before i start anything big right now?

Would really appreciate the advice thanks.

548 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
kriskorn says

It really depends on your background, you can go either way. If you are new to WordPress theme development, then I suggest you this tutorial – http://wp.tutsplus.com/tutorials/theme-development/adaptive-blog-theme-from-photoshop-to-wordpress/

You could use starter templates, but in my opinion it is best to make your own. Then you know the code inside out and yes you can reuse the code for other themes.

All the best,
Kris

86 posts
+2 more
roshaneingram says

It really depends on your background, you can go either way. If you are new to WordPress theme development, then I suggest you this tutorial – http://wp.tutsplus.com/tutorials/theme-development/adaptive-blog-theme-from-photoshop-to-wordpress/

You could use starter templates, but in my opinion it is best to make your own. Then you know the code inside out and yes you can reuse the code for other themes.

All the best,
Kris

ok thanks for the link

51 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
lukepostulka says

Wll from my opinion it doesn’t matter. As you’re saying theme starters – they are good to understand the whole template and how it works, it will help you to become familiar with basic wordpress functions. But then you’ll just create you own theme anyway because you’ll wanna do it your way.

Hope that’ll help :-) good luck

86 posts
+2 more
roshaneingram says

Wll from my opinion it doesn’t matter. As you’re saying theme starters – they are good to understand the whole template and how it works, it will help you to become familiar with basic wordpress functions. But then you’ll just create you own theme anyway because you’ll wanna do it your way. Hope that’ll help :-) good luck

Thanks, that’s a good point. Main think is to be familiar with the code so if something goes wrong I know exactly what the problem is and where to find it. I can create basic theme that’s no problem. I just need to learn to build on it and make more advanced themes.

by
by
by
by
by
by