3 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
diddy182 says

Figured I’d let creators know of this specific company who is obviously showing off work found here at themeforest as their own:

http://stectech.com/

Hell even one of the screen shots on the homepage shows the black “purchase” banner on top.

569 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
AlexFjord says

They are not the only ones unfortunately and they do not even have working versions of theme on their site! If you look a the res tof their “portfolio” it is a joke! Not that you can really tell from the tiny images.

3194 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

They probably aren’t doing anything legally wrong, actually I bet a majority of buyers do the exact same thing(but many tell the client its a theme) use themes for client work.

now for morally its pretty wrong if they dont tell the client they purchased the theme

407 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
PaddyTaylor says

Yes regretfully they are possibly not doing anything wrong and I am absolutely certain others do it – last year we interviewed someone who claimed 2 of the top themes from here as their own “unique” and “bespoke work”. Kind of ironic when we know the real authors of one of them!

Just like we see people trying to submit clearly ripped if not exact replicas here for sale it is one of those unfortunate things of the internet but it is still good to make it known, especially as:
“Stectech Industries is Phoenix’s premier Church website design firm. We specialize in complete Church and Non-profit web solutions.”
I really hope they are not misleading their clients

3 posts
diddy182 says

Ah I figured it was illegal – guess I was wrong.

They definitely are misleading their clients saying how their sites ARE unique etc.

153 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
wpminima says

Yes regretfully they are possibly not doing anything wrong and I am absolutely certain others do it – last year we interviewed someone who claimed 2 of the top themes from here as their own “unique” and “bespoke work”. Kind of ironic when we know the real authors of one of them!

Just like we see people trying to submit clearly ripped if not exact replicas here for sale it is one of those unfortunate things of the internet but it is still good to make it known, especially as:
“Stectech Industries is Phoenix’s premier Church website design firm. We specialize in complete Church and Non-profit web solutions.”
I really hope they are not misleading their clients

So you can buy a normal license and then use those themes to sell them further in let’s say freelance work? I tought you had to buy the extended license for that?? :)

164 posts
  • Europe
Cara_design says

When we caught someone else “selling” our designs we actually submitted a quote request from them. We asked for live demos of portfolios, designer contacts etc. and once we were shown examples (almost all from here or other stock marketplaces) including ours we knew exactly who to send the DCMA to!

Ok it was a bit childish but fun nonetheless!

Interesting they do not show any working versions of their sites. The “portfolio” stream is full of what looks like free (and bad free at that) templates. They do not allow contact without email, phone etc as obligatory fields so can screen who is contacting them – and no doubt choose who to ignore.

Interestingly its not just the web design they offer the waffle and crap that is talked about in other “services” they offer is ridiculous.

Regretfully as has been said they are far from the only ones, other threads today alone show the extend of submitting and selling exact replicas here and on other sites. It does add insult to injury that they claim to work a lot with charities and churches though.

407 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
PaddyTaylor says

@wpminima. It’s confusing due to “reselling” restrictions:

You must not directly or indirectly license, sub-license, sell or resell the Work, or redistribute the Work alone (even for free), or offer to do any of these things. All of these things are referred to as Resale.

but in the license agreements there is point “f” under regular licence agreement:

You may use the Work in a work which you are creating for your own purposes or for your client who has asked you to create it.

So technically you cannot “resell them as is” but can charge for work that it is used in for clients (because this will incorporate modifying them) – or thats my understanding of it. Otherwise All the people who buy themes on here then make clients websites with them (telling their clients its a theme or not!), would need extended licenses.

Any staff or otherwise feel free to correct me if that’s wrong

3 posts
diddy182 says

Yeah they can be confusing.

68 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
vazz says

“If you’re a freelancer, you are allowed to create an end product for a client using the regular license and charge them for your services”.

“I’m a freelancer. Can I use the item for an end product I’m doing for a client?

Yes. You’re essentially buying the file on your client’s behalf. Whether a regular or extended license is needed will depend on your client’s use of the end product. With both the regular and extended license you are allowed to charge your client for creating the End Product. Once you transfer the end product to the client (eg giving them source files for the item), be sure to link your client to our licenses and delete the item itself from your computer.”

http://themeforest.net/licenses/faq
by
by
by
by
by
by