• Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

Stop creating threads about your sales. Stop creating threads about your sales. Stop creating threads about your sales. Stop creating threads about your sales.

385 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Italy
realthing says

Stop creating threads about your sales. Stop creating threads about your sales. Stop creating threads about your sales. Stop creating threads about your sales.

Someone wake up really bad today….....

619 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
abstract-labs says

352 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Netherlands
motionvids says

Someone wake up really bad today….....

Could be, but I actually agree with Cyzer. It is good to celebrate your amount of sales or milestones that you may have reached, but there are those who kinda go far with it. There are currently 6 sales celebration threads on the first page of the forums (when I browse the forums on VideoHive).

I think sales celebrations should be celebrated in the “Yay!-thread”. Maybe we can even create a new “Global Sales Celebration Thread”.

Having the first page of the forums always filled with at least three “yay 100 sales” threads is not really helping anyone I think. If we keep it all in one thread it might be more interesting and the discussion might become more dynamic instead of “Yay I have reached 100 sales” and in reply about 25 times a “Congrats!” or a variation on that.

1096 posts inlifethrill
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bulgaria
+5 more
InlifeThrill says

Everybody was thinking it, finally someone said it. Probably forum rules should be revised. That’s simply an attempt to draw attention, not so different from self-promotion. I back up Cyzer.

385 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Italy
realthing says

I don’t think that is such a big deal… on the other side there are forum moderators to place thinks in order .

2087 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

There were many discussions like this one in the past. And there never was an official statement, or if there was, it was not against this, or – as you see – nothing was done regarding this issue.

Just think about it – everybody has access to these forums, even new users. And these forum topics are great testimonials which bring in new authors. I don’t think that’s something Envato would like gone.

5031 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Yay! 100 Salez
Congratz
Congratz
Congratz
Congratz
Thankz

No, they’re not very interesting threads. :-)

I agree that these threads are often futile attempts to draw attention to the poster’s own portfolio. They’re often also just the need to share an achievement IMHO. On the other hand, if everyone were to do it the forums would be unreadable. There are many of us with a great many sales who have never posted a single “achievement” thread.

The thing is, we’ve had this debate time and again, and generally the upshot is that as long as it stays below a certain level it’s okay and good for morale, especially amongst newbs. For many, it’s probably their first interaction with the community. It’s a kind of “Here I am”, which is psychologically important given how quickly users can sink without trace these days.

The options are:- Move to Off Topic. Lock and redirect poster to a single stickied Achievement thread. Leave ‘em and see how it goes.

I’m not sure I like any of the three options that much.

One of the problems is that these threads tend to provoke a rather high number of not-so-heartfelt “Congratz” responses which keeps them riding high in the forums, and once that dies down the OP with a vested publicity interest will tactically bump the thread with a “Thankz” response. That means that they are moving more interesting and relevant discussions off the front page and ultimately throttling meaningful forum participation.

But what to do?

Keep the opinions coming in.

5031 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

I think sales celebrations should be celebrated in the “Yay!-thread”. Maybe we can even create a new “Global Sales Celebration Thread”.

Unfortunately, I can’t move a thread into another thread. I can only move threads to another forum.

A while ago I used to leave them until they got bumped by the OP and as soon as the OP did that I’d move ‘em into off-topic. Also I think I used to move anything over a week old into Off-topic too.

But it’s work boring work boring unpaid work :-) , a bit like disabling the spam threads that constantly appear on the forums.

Maybe a non-stickied Global Sales Celebration thread is the answer. Any new Yay! threads get locked down with the message please post in the Global Sales Celebration thread. Once users realise that they’re not getting the unique exposure on the forums, I expect the practice will die down anyway.

How about that? Or is that a bit kill-joyish?

53 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
ZEDDsign says
Finally you said it!!!

I’ve got 1 sale…I’m so excited, I can’t sleep! I don’t need school anymore and bla bla

I’m very happy for those guys, but we have to keep our forum clean!

by
by
by
by
by
by