4145 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

Hey guys, did you get anything like this from PayPal? Is it legit?

EU regulations require that we collect and confirm some of your account information. Please complete this by 4/7/2012. If you don’t do so in time, PayPal is required by law to limit access to your account. EU law requires financial services firms like PayPal to confirm the identity of all customers to provide a safer platform for its users and to help prevent the illegal use of its services. Thank you for your cooperation.
78 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
DesignitTonight says

Only if it’s on the PayPal site when you log in is it legitimate.

• Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+9 more

I already changed my password :D was just asking if it’s legit, or did anyone else get it?

3415 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

If they provide a link, I’d be suspicious of a phishing scam (obviously you should check the URL ). If they tell you to go log into your PayPal account by typing paypal.com into your browser, I expect it’s legit.

Most legit financial outfits will direct you to log in by directly accessing their site (rather than through a link) when requesting action via email, in order to distinguish themselves from phishing attacks – as that is a safe way to avoid falling victim to that type of scam. Hopefully when you log into your PayPal dash, you’ll see a similar message from them (confirming its legitimacy). Then again, PayPal’s interface is notoriously poor, so if there’s no confirmation on the site I wouldn’t immediately assume it’s illegitimate, either.

If in doubt, contact PayPal and ask :)

• Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+9 more

If they provide a link, I’d be suspicious of a phishing scam (obviously you should check the URL ). If they tell you to go log into your PayPal account by typing paypal.com into your browser, I expect it’s legit.

Most legit financial outfits will direct you to log in by directly accessing their site (rather than through a link) when requesting action via email, in order to distinguish themselves from phishing attacks – as that is a safe way to avoid falling victim to that type of scam. Hopefully when you log into your PayPal dash, you’ll see a similar message from them (confirming its legitimacy). Then again, PayPal’s interface is notoriously poor, so if there’s no confirmation on the site I wouldn’t immediately assume it’s illegitimate, either.

If in doubt, contact PayPal and ask :)

Good call. I checked the link, seems legit. I went to my account, did what they asked. Then logged out, typed www.paypal.com on my iPhone, changed the password, and problem solved. Even it wasn’t legit. There was only 1 question, 3 radio buttons, select one, and click save… no password asked for, no details. I think it was legit.

But still, changing the password is always a good idea :D

983 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+2 more
purethemes says

I’m not sure if that’s the case, but paypal asks you to verify your address and personal data if your income will be higher than some value I don’t remember ;) They asked me about my ID scan and latest bill scan, and it was legit. I’ve had long argue with them because they didn’t want to accept my scans and I’ve even stopped using it for a while, but SWIFT transfers where too expensive..

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
+5 more
pezflash says

^ Same for me. Paypal verified the account id, asking for bank data and id card copy, once i reached a concrete amount. No matter the email, you will find that info once you open your paypal profile account.

182 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
marpies says

^ Received the same.. but a few weeks later I received email from domain paypall.com (note the double L) which was a scam.. so you watch out guys!

678 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Greece
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+1 more
videologio says

Paypal doesnt make changes or doesnt ask to send information via e-mails. If there is any issue they will send you a mail and they ll ask you to log in to your account to solve this problem.

1603 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
+9 more
PatrikL Reviewer says

I got that email a few weeks ago, seemed legit so I did what they asked for. As in your case, no password asked for, just a checkbox then click submit.

by
by
by
by
by
by