181 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Lithuania
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
MRMdesigns says

Today I had a look at this week’s top sellers and spotted a very strange thing. The best this week’s seller “Lines Reveal” appeared like from nowhere. It was uploaded 12 November 2010, and I have never seen it before in the top sellers, but suddenly it has jumped to the first place. Does anyone have any ideas why this is like that?

P.S. Don’t get me wrong, I’m just wondering, no offense

1601 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

I thought about it. I think author made a custom work for someone and instead of money to paypal or bank he wanted customer to purchase this item 45 times.

10$ x 45 = 450$ (average custom work price).

OR … or… maybe someone actualy bought it 45 times because they want to make 45 different renders of this same item. :))))

181 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Lithuania
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
MRMdesigns says

Hitting Purchase button 45 times? That would take forever… :D And even more, it would be really unpractical, since Envato would take about 48-50% of money. Sorry Envato :P

281 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Beta Tester
johnnybd says

cyzer thats amazing dude! tried thinking about it too but your idea is extra creative ! ;-) thats a really cool trick though, wonder if he got more sales from doing it.

613 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Finland
+1 more
uniquefx says

OR … or… maybe someone actualy bought it 45 times because they want to make 45 different renders of this same item. :))))

I once had a freelancer contact me looking to buy 50 licenses of a project to use with his own clients.I wasn’t lucky enough to make the score,maybe this other guy was.

130 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
maupa says

The first place on the top seller list is very important. It generates many new visitors for the number one items. My file was a few weeks on that place and it generates sometimes over 300 veiws per day. I think that many authors manipulte their sales. Especially in the first selling week. This strategy can be very expensiv. :) Maupa

1601 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

yeah its a nice but expensive legal trick, ofcourse it wount make other authors happy .. didn’t use this though. loose 50 percent of sum for one week exposure?? its better to make a new file.. i guess :) loose that money is crazy thing especialy if the sum is high, and if not then I dont think that it will do any difference for the file.

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Curious indeed. If it was manipulation by the author, I think that kind of practice wouldn’t be seen as fair by Envato. At a purely practical level, $245 for thousands and thousands of hits over the week isn’t an altogether daft proposition.

If the sales were in payment for a project, then the buyer would almost certainly have paid with 5x extended licences, rather than 45 individual purchases.

I can’t imagine that a customization firm or individual would buy 45 licences all in one go. They’d buy them as they go along… each time a new customization comes in.

The only other thing I can imagine is that it got a very good piece of publicity somewhere. Can’t imagine what that might be though.

613 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Finland
+1 more
uniquefx says

If there isn’t any trickery involved,i would love to see the analytics on that file.

293 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Belarus
DOGmotion says

The first place on the top seller list is very important. It generates many new visitors for the number one items. My file was a few weeks on that place and it generates sometimes over 300 veiws per day. I think that many authors manipulte their sales. Especially in the first selling week. This strategy can be very expensiv. :) Maupa
But unfortunately the first place on the top, in this case, does not increase sales. I observed this item and notice that since Monday it had only one sale. There is much to ponder. ;)
by
by
by
by
by
by