• Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
jhunger says

Since there hasn’t been a studio monitor thread in a couple of months, I figured I’d start one up.

I’m looking to upgrade my current monitors sometime early next year to a pair of 5 to 7 inch nearfield monitors. I’m hearing a lot of good things about both Adam A5x/A7x and Focal CMS50 /CMS65.

Does anybody have any experience with either of these monitors, or other suggestions?

951 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
simaudio says

Hi Joel, i found this review for you. From the best music tech mag in the U.K. in my opinion and many others.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug10/articles/adam-a7x.htm

Hope it helps. I use KRK ’s myself and i have to say i’ve been happy with the results since i spent a bit of money on acoustic treatment for my studio :)

889 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • United States
jhunger says

Thanks! That was a good read.

I really haven’t heard anyone say anything bad about the Adam monitors, and I’ve been leaning toward them for about the last 2 years now (it’s taking me a long time to decide to upgrade my speakers :)). However, I’m reading a lot of posts about people favoring the Focals when compared to the Adams so I’m poking around.

Honestly, KRKs are competitors as well – a lot of KRK owners appear to be very happy. The VXT series are usually the ones that are compared to the A7x monitors at this price range, but I’ve heard good things about the Rokits as well (and I have the ability to actually demo those, which I can’t say about the others).

140 posts
  • Jersey
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
liambradbury says

I have the Adam A7X and there amazing. really clear sound.

28 posts
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
aj-guitar says

I personally don’t like the Adam A7X . Too boxy for my taste (yeah, it’s also a matter of taste). If you can then try the KS digital C5 coax or Neumann KH120 .

But: Don’t buy what you haven’t heard with your own ears.

889 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • United States
jhunger says

I’m hoping that at least the Adams will be at the local Guitar Center so I can hear them – dunno about the others.

The Neumanns (or rebranded Klein + Hummel) are an interesting suggestion. I had dismissed them for some reason as out of my price range but they’re really right in there with the other speakers I mentioned. Also Front End Audio has a good price on them and throws in a Mogami cable as well :). Actually, as an aside, if you’re buying anything Neumann check out Front End Audio’s “add it to the cart” pricing – it beats anything on the other major sites.

A quick search on gearslutz shows some glowing reviews for the Neumanns – I think I’m going to have to add them to the G.A.S. wish list. Thanks A&J, for the suggestion!

60 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Turkey
Greysound says

Hi Joel,

If you have the chance to demo KRK , do not miss that chance. KRK produces pretty solid monitors. Strong, reliable devices those KRK ’s. I believe you will agree when you heard the sound coming out of them. Also, Adam is a great company when it comes to monitors. I have never heard bad comments from the Adam owners I know.

But, if the price is not an issue, I would strongly suggest you to grab a pair of Genelec and forget about any kind of upgrade for the rest of your life :)

Good luck with the gear hunt!

889 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • United States
jhunger says

Thanks, Greysound!

KRK I should be able to demo (actually the Best Buy down the street has them in their music department, and I think Guitar Center does as well). I do know that Rokits for their price range can’t be beat, but I don’t think I’ve heard the VXTs.

Price is always an issue :), but I’m trying over a couple of years to put together the best stereo chain I can. This year was all about preamps and mics, next year monitors and headphones, etc. Given that it’s so essential to the end product I’m willing to push the price range into the 1000-1500 USD range for better-than-entry-level nearfields, with the thought that I’d be able to keep them and add a sub once I upgrade my studio (in the waaaay distant future).

Genelecs have some monitors in that range, e.g. the 8030A, but I’ve heard multiple musicians say they sound too good, so that the mix sounds awesome in the studio but once you play it back elsewhere it’s not what you wanted. Of course, it seems like when you see pictures of big studios you’ll often see Genelecs in the background, so that must count for something. Have you had experience with them?

409 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
joesacco says

Yamaha HS80M ! Compared them with the KRKs and M-Audios of equivalent size and price. These are better.

60 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Turkey
Greysound says
jhunger said
Thanks, Greysound!

KRK I should be able to demo (actually the Best Buy down the street has them in their music department, and I think Guitar Center does as well). I do know that Rokits for their price range can’t be beat, but I don’t think I’ve heard the VXTs.

Price is always an issue :), but I’m trying over a couple of years to put together the best stereo chain I can. This year was all about preamps and mics, next year monitors and headphones, etc. Given that it’s so essential to the end product I’m willing to push the price range into the 1000-1500 USD range for better-than-entry-level nearfields, with the thought that I’d be able to keep them and add a sub once I upgrade my studio (in the waaaay distant future).

Genelecs have some monitors in that range, e.g. the 8030A, but I’ve heard multiple musicians say they sound too good, so that the mix sounds awesome in the studio but once you play it back elsewhere it’s not what you wanted. Of course, it seems like when you see pictures of big studios you’ll often see Genelecs in the background, so that must count for something. Have you had experience with them?

You are more than welcome Joel.

Yes, Genelecs sound just incredibly good but I think the tools should be the last thing to blame if a mix sounds bad :) I mean, as you already know, it always sounds good in a studio, no matter what the setup is. Because most of the time we listen what we record with high volume levels and this makes us to be unable to hear the details which makes that mix sounds not that good when playing elswhere. I only had two hours of listening experience with a pair of 8250A and another pair of 1037C. I have listened various types of guitar, drums and stringed instrument recordings, a couple of mixdowns, one fully mixed & mastered song and also a frequency test, in a studio. I still wish I had the chance to play around with them just a little longer because while I was on my way back to home, I was unable to get them out of my mind. They were that good! :) So now it is like my goal to have a pair of them in the waaaaaay distant future, as you put it :)

As for KRK , I have no experience with those VXTs either, so I can not say much about them. But overall, KRK is a good company and I don’t think they would ruin their reputation by producing bad monitors.

by
by
by
by
by
by