1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

This has gone extreamly off topic, I’ll try and save it.
I don’t like seeing thousands of social icons, only a few are ever going to be used.

Aren’t they sexy?

:P

Personally I think using sexy social icons on a template is just wrong. ;)

100 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
StevenGliebe says

Using sex to sell anything (seriously, even HAMBURGERS ) has become the norm, and in my opinion it is cheap and tasteless. Personally, I avoid buying and promoting products marketed in this way, including themes. That’s my two cents for whatever it’s worth to the thread starter and theme makers.

5346 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

That is the terrible consequence of past society organisation and sexism is the aftershock. Putting all those nude girls is only aiding the sexism, keeps men feeling they are superior, it’s like all those flyers are designed only for men (and lesbians). Censoring it? No. Realizing it’s bad? YES .

We aren’t really here to cast our moral judgement on society. We’re here to make money.

Personally, I avoid buying and promoting products marketed in this way, including themes.

Bingo. As an author, if you choose to market your products in a controversial way, you can’t expect that everyone will choose to support your products. But this is the beauty of free enterprise where demand dictates supply. If enough people boycotted these themes, they wouldn’t be made. But at the moment, these people are the minority.

5961 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Since the buyer’s opinion is the key and so far no much complaints coming from buyer’s side, I don’t think this will be considered by Envato. Moderating these things will just add confusion than results. And I believe most of those that adds seductive content does it to align with trend rather than as a personal marketing trick.

However, I would say forget about changing these things and make observations just for your own knowledge. Today almost every profession has the weird habit of following trends even if it is against personal ethics and interestingly even if that doesn’t gives any result. No one can change these things, happens not only now but around 3000-4000 years; :P

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Today almost every profession has the weird habit of following trends even if it is against personal ethics and interestingly even if that doesn’t gives any result.
True but more often than not, following the trend gives result. We didn’t switch from flash to js because it was cool didn’t we ? Sure, one could use nature images and still get good sales but, for most authors, competitions is high enough even without taking unnecessary risks.

Because face it: most buyers are males who happen to like hot chicks. Others may not but, sorry, we’re not here to be polically correct. We’re here to make money.

5961 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

^ I didn’t mean certain things doesn’t give result. And researching what gives result is beyond our subject.

I was kidding about the fact that some authors continuously tries with seductive photos and still couldn’t manage going beyond 2 digit sales for items. I thought many of you may observed this too :D

by
by
by
by
by
by