632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

That’s nice to hear. But can you give us some more info about it? What’s planned? Or at least ETA for (at least some) changes? What to expect and when? :)

I can’t promise anything at this stage, but here’s where we’d like to head:

The work you guys have seen a few fragments of is toward vastly improving and simplifying the process of becoming an author. Part of that goal is making things like author dashboard available to all users — if you’re an author, it’ll work mostly like it used to (for now). If you’re not an author, it can help you become one.

This means the dashboard UI has to deal with a few more states and variations than it used to. Authors see an upload box, but others will see a different box, with varying height content. We tried that all in one place in the UI (shifting it to the left column above the comments), but we’ll explore alternatives for sure.

This work got interrupted in a weird spot (hence no promises), but I’d like to get back to it soon. There’s a broader vision of the dashboard, but I’m only just starting to research this and talk to authors, so it’s way way way too early to go into details.

Expect a Notes post in the next day or two from me on our current focus.

You make that sound difficult – as developers you should be able to get that done in a few hours. Sadly my optimism about getting some real much needed features implemented has just died.

2268 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

The answers from Envato of late seem to be as clear as those offered by politicians…..

507 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

You make that sound difficult – as developers you should be able to get that done in a few hours. Sadly my optimism about getting some real much needed features implemented has just died.

No, it’s easy, it’s just not the highest priority.

583 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
theAlThemist says

EDIT : Ignore me.

507 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

The answers from Envato of late seem to be as clear as those offered by politicians…..

I’ll work on making them clearer then :) In order to do that, I want to be able to openly talk with the community about some of this stuff even when it isn’t clear.

I’m not trying to obscure my answers, but the community has waited a long time for some of these changes, and I don’t think it’s helpful at this point to talk about or promise features, timelines and details (especially long term) that are still somewhat open.

583 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
theAlThemist says

Hello Justin,

tried to keep my mouth shut, really tried hard (even deleted my previous comment) but I really can’t! I know it’s not your fault and you’re not the decision maker on this case, but do you guys really think it’s helpful repeating the same old mantra?

SSDD : “Well, we wouldn’t do what you guys need and asked for the last 2-3 years, but Hey, don’t worry, we are now focused on making it easier to become an author”

Do you really believe someone cares about this? Do you think it’s not easy enough to become an author and there are no other, bigger problems? Isn’t it better to concentrate on making this marketplace better and what it was. Looking at the amount of “Why my item was rejected? Please help me!” threads on the forum, how to make it easier to become an author should be your last concern. It’s obvious that becoming an author is easy enough even for non-authors and regular author-wanna-be people.

For the last two-three weeks you’re flooding the forums with optimistic threads and comments about big changes, but… c’mon…

Once again – don’t get me wrong. We all know it’s not your fault and you (dev team) are not the final decision makers. However, threads and comments like this doesn’t really help.

This was a great community 2-3 years ago when I joined. Collis was constantly in touch and listened… Now it looks like we are no more important because there are so many of us, and they only send you here to calm us down.

194 posts Dreams Money Can Buy
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
SwiftIdeas says

^^ What he said….

I’ve only been around for a year, but still feel the lack of delivery on key things that should have been done a long time ago.

- Ed

5485 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

I am with Justin on this.

Aside from the time it takes you guys to do stuff.

This issue is , if changes are made …some quite radical, it confuses people. So yes changes have to be made, the users have to be consulted, but the changes need to be “rolling” and not done in fits and farts.

Document changelog, tick them off and continue developing.

A developer, develops meaning he generally never finishes what he starts ;)

507 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

…do you guys really think it’s helpful repeating the same old mantra?

It’s not helpful, and I don’t want to. I want to talk openly about what we’re actually working on and what I have some level of certainty around. I also want to talk about the stuff we need to understand better. urbazon asked a question, and I tried to answer it as best I could.

For the last two-three weeks you’re flooding the forums with optimistic threads and comments about big changes, but… c’mon… Once again – don’t get me wrong. We all know it’s not your fault and you (dev team) are not the final decision makers. However, threads and comments like this doesn’t really help.

Actually, 2–3 weeks ago I was given quite a lot of decision making power :)

I’ve been involved in these threads because I care lot about them, and they’re helping me understand what needs to be done and why it’s important. Item support is really important and overdue. I want it to be the next piece of work we do, so I’m researching it a lot. I believe the dashboard is a crucial screen for many things that are high on our priority list, and I was involved in the changes made so far, so I’m tuning in, trying to answer questions and learning about it.

I’ve haven’t been “sent in here”, this is where I need to be to get this work moving. You’re welcome to remain sceptical until you see evidence to the contrary of course :)

2130 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

Hey Justin, thanks for the reply. Although things are still fuzzy, I’m glad there are some “visible” efforts. It seems like you’re on your way to improve our marketplaces, and I just hope you’ll do it soon.

By the way, I just read your Notes post. Since you’re the UX guy, I have a question, or better yet – a request.

It always puzzled me why there is an option to browse marketplaces by categories by levels (like here: http://audiojungle.net/category/all in the right column, when you open a category, you get a list of sub-levels) and there isn’t such an option in user portfolio listing. There are quite a few of us authors with rather big portfolios and I don’t see a reason not to make it easier to browse what we have to offer. If you take a look at my portfolio (for example, AudioJungle portfolio) and try to browse it, you’ll end up screaming and running! :D And there are some authors with even more items than me! :) Please take a look into it and find a way to make it possible to filter portfolio view into categories and sub-categories while browsing in addition to “show all” like it is now.

by
by
by
by
by
by