596 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
MikeMoloney says

I agree 100% with what you are saying but I can also see this from the opposite side and the first thing that’s an issue is the affiliate program percentage on top of 80% would be over 100% – therefore that would cost Envato money.

I think more importantly Elite authors need SOME benefits – right now everything has been removed basically – there are no further incentives – they should start to be more creative and let authors have benefits on top of the current 70% percentage top barrier. Price adjustments, instant updates (no reviews), advertising budgets etc

Just some ideas for discussion and thoughts.

Jonathan

Maybe raising the rates won’t work, but I totally agree, advertising budgets, and instant updates are two amazing incentives! I also think price adjustments, and possibly further profile customization would be cool.

4710 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Not that I make the same per month that I use to selling on ActiveDen… but I can say when top authors are pulling in fairly decent amounts consistently per month, and you have plenty of free time not having to work 9-5 during the week like everyone else… how much more incentive does one need besides healthy income, and more leisure time? Surely that is enough… I don’t see how bells and whistles, like rings, and custom profiles will make a difference…. and I doubt aspiring authors who want to climb to the top are doing it for the incentives.. you can’t really beat passive income and more leisure time, really the authors are buying their own incentives with their profits and I doubt they’re not missing anything additional from Envato. Also the way these marketplaces work, once you have high sales, and good exposure – you definitely have an advantage over new comers, so anything additional, like ad campaigns would be overkill and just keep a bigger divide between top sellers and new comers…

2071 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
+9 more
revaxarts says

Instead of an increase of rates I would like to see other benefits for elite authors. Since the drop of the price adjustment tool one year ago what are the benefits of beeing an elite author?

• Care Package – nice but could also be a yearly christmas present
  • Elite Badge – ok we all love badges
  • 12 month tutsplus – cool but since we are elite we must have some skills already
  • Business Cards – I can get 1000 pcs of my own for about 5 item sales
  • Ad campaigns – no idea and measurements how this affects my sales

So where are promised changes for elites we are all waiting for?

4710 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

^ Well the incentives are clearly just for fun, a gimmick, just for show.. but I think we should ask why do we need more.. why do we need something of more value, to inspire us more? drive us to work harder? Seriously.. I think if we just do what we do, because we enjoy it, and that work pays off through Envato, surely that is enough? Or why not just create our own incentives if they’re really important.. like we could say, if I sell more than 100k I will buy a car.. when I get to 200k I’ll go on that overseas trip I always wanted to do.. or when I hit the 500k mark I’ll buy a house… what do we need Envato for in terms incentives..I think passive income / more leisure time is a pretty good incentive… I mean Envato doesn’t have to give incentives at all, but they do it for fun, as something to show appreciation for our support.. but it seems now that the incentives aren’t enough, I mean what do we really want then? Elite program was for fun, not meant to be the primary motivator to sell items here, the benefit is in the passive income.

I think once in a while, take that holiday and just chill out.. and sit back and think, wow.. I make money off a website, and I’m probably getting sales right now while I sip this cocktail.. while my friends are sitting at a desk job somewhere sweating away.. aren’t I lucky to be an author on Envato networks… forget about future perks, enjoy what you have now ;)

1055 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

^ Well the incentives are clearly just for fun, a gimmick, just for show.. but I think we should ask why do we need more.. why do we need something of more value, to inspire us more? drive us to work harder? Seriously.. I think if we just do what we do, because we enjoy it, and that work pays off through Envato, surely that is enough? Or why not just create our own incentives if they’re really important.. like we could say, if I sell more than 100k I will buy a car.. when I get to 200k I’ll go on that overseas trip I always wanted to do.. or when I hit the 500k mark I’ll buy a house… what do we need Envato for in terms incentives..I think passive income / more leisure time is a pretty good incentive… I mean Envato doesn’t have to give incentives at all, but they do it for fun, as something to show appreciation for our support.. but it seems now that the incentives aren’t enough, I mean what do we really want then? Elite program was for fun, not meant to be the primary motivator to sell items here, the benefit is in the passive income. I think once in a while, take that holiday and just chill out.. and sit back and think, wow.. I make money off a website, and I’m probably getting sales right now while I sip this cocktail.. while my friends are sitting at a desk job somewhere sweating away.. aren’t I lucky to be an author on Envato networks… forget about future perks, enjoy what you have now ;)

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I’ve started taking a trip to Puerto Rico each spring for about a week to relax and enjoy life. I work way too much when I’m at home and I know it drives my wife crazy. I especially do a lot of nights, not as many weekends these days with the kids and all, but still a lot of hours. I’ve realized it’s OK to reward yourself when you work hard and sometimes you need it.

If anyone is interested in joining me, we can turn this into an annual meet up. I’ll be there the beginning of April and I’m happy to help with the planning. That way I can write the trip off as a business expense, so long as I have a legitimate reason for being there. :)

869 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
PhilLarson says

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I’ve started taking a trip to Puerto Rico each spring for about a week to relax and enjoy life. I work way too much when I’m at home and I know it drives my wife crazy. I especially do a lot of nights, not as many weekends these days with the kids and all, but still a lot of hours. I’ve realized it’s OK to reward yourself when you work hard and sometimes you need it. If anyone is interested in joining me, we can turn this into an annual meet up. I’ll be there the beginning of April and I’m happy to help with the planning. That way I can write the trip off as a business expense, so long as I have a legitimate reason for being there. :)

Help me reach elite status and I’M THERE! ;) Had a good time meeting you at the Nashville meetup… but Puerto Rico? That may be an even greater meetup! :bigsmile:

3723 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Moderator says

As Jonathan01 pointed out straight away, raising to 80% would affect the affiliate commissions or cost Envato to make a sale.

As the OP points out, sales records are being smashed on a regular basis, something I would think that aside from the amazing quality of work offered by Authors here, could be due to the huge amounts of traffic driven to the site through the well paying and effective affiliate program.

Should this affiliate program be compromised, less people may be willing to utilise it. This may then result in a traffic drop and most likely lower traffic levels would result in lower sales.

Elite Authors are the lifeblood of these marketplaces.

They provide fantastic sales figures for themselves and Envato, however possibly more important, their successes and high quality items inspire buyers with the confidence to buuy and new Authors with the motivation to start selling.

I would not want to upset these top sellers, however I equally think their may be an element of greed involved when wanting more than 70%.

3180 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a competition
+15 more
dtbaker Moderator says

I’m more than happy with the current pricing model. What more of an inventive do you need besides a good passive income (and the occasional pack of vegemite in the mail)?

They have already GREATLY improved the pricing model a few years ago (taking a huge hit on profit!).

Check out the historical rates and work out what percentage you would currently be on if they hadn’t changed it :)

Currently more than happy with the 70% and how long it takes to reach.

fyi: Envato rocks.

1028 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

I totally agree with dtbaker

6076 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

They have already GREATLY improved the pricing model a few years ago (taking a huge hit on profit!).

Yeah, it was significant improvement already. In the past, $300,000 was the milestone to reach 70% and as of now $75,000 is enough. (I guess few authors like DS already/nearly hit that mark those times)

However from my observation – could be coincidence – that’s the point when Envato stopped making any improvements on almost all other departments! :D

by
by
by
by
by
by