1557 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

Not that I make the same per month that I use to selling on ActiveDen… but I can say when top authors are pulling in fairly decent amounts consistently per month, and you have plenty of free time not having to work 9-5 during the week like everyone else… how much more incentive does one need besides healthy income, and more leisure time? Surely that is enough… I don’t see how bells and whistles, like rings, and custom profiles will make a difference…. and I doubt aspiring authors who want to climb to the top are doing it for the incentives.. you can’t really beat passive income and more leisure time, really the authors are buying their own incentives with their profits and I doubt they’re not missing anything additional from Envato. Also the way these marketplaces work, once you have high sales, and good exposure – you definitely have an advantage over new comers, so anything additional, like ad campaigns would be overkill and just keep a bigger divide between top sellers and new comers…

+1

340 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
joshhunsaker says

I love that I get basically free money from selling stuff I never really thought I could sell.

Hell. That’s enough for me honestly. And free file of the week and tons of exposure and tons of comments? Blingin. Life is good.

I’ll buy my lambo when I’ve earned it. ;)

510 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Located in Italy
+1 more
bosone says

they should:
1) raise the percentage for non-exclusive author to at least 40%. no other marketplace has such a low percentage
2) program a progressive raise for non-exclusive percentage depending on the sale, in the same way of the exclusive program.
3) raise the prices! :)

2351 posts Small, but tough
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

“If you’re eligible for exclusivity, your royalty rate can reach up to 45%. To become an exclusive photographer or illustrator, you must have 250 downloads and a minimum 50% approval rating, or 500 downloads. Audio contributors can become exclusive after they reach 10 downloads. Video contributors are eligible for exclusivity immediately. Once eligible, contributors must apply to join the exclusivity program. “

“Contributor royalties begin at 15% and increase based on the total amount paid to license your files each calendar year (see “Redeemed Credits” below), up to 45%.”

http://www.istockphoto.com/help/sell-stock/rate-schedule

The maximum you can get is 45%

1001 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

I was just about to write this. It’s crazy how low are commissions for stock photography on various micro-stocks. We have really good deal comparing to sites like istock. I know it’s hard to compare photos with themes, but it’s also not a piece of cake to build good photography portfolio. And we need only laptop and notepad, they need tons of expensive equipment plus hire models etc.

+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

I was just about the write this. It’s crazy how low are commissions for stock photography on various micro-stocks. We have really good deal comparing to sites like istock. I know it’s hard to compare photos with themes, but it’s also not a piece of cake to build good photography portfolio. And we need only laptop and notepad, they need tons of expensive equipment plus hire models etc.

They don’t sell just photos, they sell videos too, illustrations, audio, etc..

5953 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

We can never compare istock in terms of license options and price (of photos). Considering those benefits on istock, Envato is too much different even to compare. For example 45% of a $10-35 photo is better than 70% of $3 for same photo :D

+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

I kinda look at things this way. I wouldn’t be able to make money from selling templates without envato, but also envato wouldn’t be able to make money without me. We could also switch this sentance: Envato wouldn’t be able to make money from templates without me, but also I wouldn’t be able to make money without envato. I really don’t see that any party is in advantage. Even 50% would be fair IMHO. Still, envato gives us 70%. I think it’s fair enough.

1111 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
3alisha says

We need a higher rate, because sales on 3dOcean are so low that i will reach 70% after … * drum rolls * ~152.45 years !

Fair enough :D (P.S.: I am the 10th top author there, so that you see how bad things are)

730 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Won a competition
  • Located in Canada
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

Thanks everyone for the awesome replies! There were so many very valid points made and I’m not going to even try to comment on everything :)

There is a common theme in some comments I did notice however that I wanted to comment on – which very much ties into my posting in the first place.

Receiving a passive income is a dream, like many noted – and is an amazing thing to achieve without doubt. There does come a time however when money no longer becomes about how “I” live, but how I can also support the lives of those around me.

For me personally, I have an amazing life and am very blessed – but now, increase is not just for me, but for my immediate family, for extended family, for friends, for those close and for those I see in need who I can help…. for all those who are stuck in low income jobs and really don’t have a hope of something like a passive income. At a certain point, passive income will easily satisfy your own needs, but try paying two or three mortgages plus your own and you will see how fast that can change.

While no one directly is calling out “greed”, I wanted to make it clear that there are very legitimate reasons for asking such questions, as smart business and stretching your dollars (or Euros etc :) as far as they can go requires such. Remember, the effect of income and quality of living changes greatly with the number of lives it’s supports.

So at the root of my question, personally, is looking to see where these needs can be most met. I have a unique opportunity that I can very possibly make more off the marketplace now then on them. So I look to the future to see what is coming, how healthy is the business, is the pricing model right, is the commission mode right, are we growing, where will we be in 5 years, etc. etc.

Looking at the costs of running the marketplaces and all the other costs (both past and present), I also still believe 70% is fair, but it was definitely worth asking how everyone felt and am glad I did :) As unique licensing solutions and pricing per marketplace seems to be more on the agenda now, I think breaking new ground will come there.

Thanks for everyone taking the time, it’s great to hear the opinions of so many creative minds !

by
by
by
by
by
by