1466 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

Receiving a passive income is a dream, like many noted – and is an amazing thing to achieve without doubt. There does come a time however when money no longer becomes about how “I” live, but how I can also support the lives of those around me.
Exactly, very nice to see there are more people like this, thanks for that Tim!
1864 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

We are fine with 30% for Envato, but what we are not fine about is what we get (or rather don’t get) for it.

Number 1 is traffic, we need more consistent traffic. Even though the marketplace keeps growing, we don’t feel it. We are in a huge store with thousands of aisles where people only grab stuff from the few front aisles. This worked fine years ago, not anymore. Please innovate.

Number 2-?, the usual suspects, pipeline, dead horse

648 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
Dream-Theme says

IMO: More money for Envato = More stable live for Authors
But yes, it will great to get 71% for example after sale for 1M

+1 to 71% after 1M :D

212 posts Live Creative!
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
BrownHouseMedia says

Receiving a passive income is a dream, like many noted – and is an amazing thing to achieve without doubt.

Tim M. is way to modest. To call what he does “passive income” is very deceptive. Everyone I know that is making a living in music works very very hard. Probably putting in more hours than if they had a “real” job.

I am not exclusive so I won’t comment on the exclusive rate – but I would sure love to see the non-exclusive rate raised or an increase in the cost of a track (there has been much discussion in another thread.)

648 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Dream-Theme says

We are fine with 30% for Envato, but what we are not fine about is what we get (or rather don’t get) for it.

Number 1 is traffic, we need more consistent traffic. Even though the marketplace keeps growing, we don’t feel it. We are in a huge store with thousands of aisles where people only grab stuff from the few front aisles. This worked fine years ago, not anymore. Please innovate.

Well, devs on appstore are getting 70% + doing marketing themselves. Think about it – we are still kinda fine here ;)

1864 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

Well, devs on appstore are getting 70% + doing marketing themselves. Think about it – we are still kinda fine here ;)

I wouldn’t really compare these two, but Envato could implement a thing or two seen on App Store. It’s like apples and oranges because each company/store have different overhead etc.

a) Apple always play their games from a position where the other side can’t say no. It’s their ecosystem, no competition. Envato did not built HTML or Photoshop, these are open technologies. Envato is prone to competition, just like templatemonster was eventually.

b) Envato store has thousands of aisles, App Store millions. They are so big that some trending chart is not enough anymore. As I see it, there is still a plenty of stuff that Envato can implement to help fight this growing problem.

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Receiving a passive income is a dream, like many noted – and is an amazing thing to achieve without doubt. There does come a time however when money no longer becomes about how “I” live, but how I can also support the lives of those around me.

+1 Definitely this is a serious point not to miss and needs little deep observation. I would say for an author, the benefits of passive income (free time etc) actually comes because of selecting stock as their channel of work. This doesn’t mean the earning comes without work/skill/experience expense of time.

While it is true that – we earn while sleeping, the another fact also there – we lose sleep/freeness when a precious work doesn’t convert into money – no one can solve this except the author themselves! :D

For me, a marketplace with option to reach ~70% in reasonably fast pace + continuously improving eco system is a gift. The only problem is consistency of the later part! :P

1579 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

Not that I make the same per month that I use to selling on ActiveDen… but I can say when top authors are pulling in fairly decent amounts consistently per month, and you have plenty of free time not having to work 9-5 during the week like everyone else… how much more incentive does one need besides healthy income, and more leisure time? Surely that is enough… I don’t see how bells and whistles, like rings, and custom profiles will make a difference…. and I doubt aspiring authors who want to climb to the top are doing it for the incentives.. you can’t really beat passive income and more leisure time, really the authors are buying their own incentives with their profits and I doubt they’re not missing anything additional from Envato. Also the way these marketplaces work, once you have high sales, and good exposure – you definitely have an advantage over new comers, so anything additional, like ad campaigns would be overkill and just keep a bigger divide between top sellers and new comers…
+1

+2, all the current elite incentives are a kind of a joke I could care less about rings and business cards, I’m not here to earn trinkets this is a business. I thought the ad campaigns might be great but I did t see an increase maybe partly due to the terrible ad design with no call to action. I really think the program needs to be looked at again and revised/molded into something actually beneficial to elite authors.

648 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Dream-Theme says

I wouldn’t really compare these two, but Envato could implement a thing or two seen on App Store. It’s like apples and oranges because each company/store have different overhead etc.

a) Apple always play their games from a position where the other side can’t say no. It’s their ecosystem, no competition. Envato did not built HTML or Photoshop, these are open technologies. Envato is prone to competition, just like templatemonster was eventually.

b) Envato store has thousands of aisles, App Store millions. They are so big that some trending chart is not enough anymore. As I see it, there is still a plenty of stuff that Envato can implement to help fight this growing problem.

Agree. But IMO comparison is correct: simply try to sell your themes elsewhere :D

2049 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+3 more
Creattive says

increasing prices about 10% would be way better imo – for everyone.

I doubt that will have any influence on sales.

by
by
by
by
by
by