• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
UBLThemes says

Hi Guys, as many people on here know, sometimes the reviewing system can be a little irritating, especially because its being reviewed by 1 person and if that reviewer does not like it, then it will not pass.

After over 10 years in the industry the one thing i have noticed is no one person is the same.

Some designs i think are amazing, the client will love that… the client hates. Some designs i think the client will hate it… the client loves.

So 1 person reviewing is not efficient to both envato’s and author profits.

Just my 2 pence but would it not be more beneficial to let the buyers decide?

For instance:

Upload item, item goes to review section of the website, buyers go in and vote. After 5 days, if the vote percentage is above so much then item goes to second phase. 2nd phase would be a human reviewer which only reviews that the files are correct and in order. Then item is released to the public.

This would even be more cost effective for envato because less reviewers would be needed.

After all the buyer is king, and if the buyers like it, the sales will always be high.

No more venting vengeance out on reviewer for rejection because the buyers are never wrong!

I know this may not happen because of the coding involved but what do you guys think?

629 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Thecodingdude says

I think that a single product should be reviewed by at least 5 reviewers before it can be accepted. One man’s rubbish is another’s treasure, as I think the saying goes :P

But yeah, leaving it down to a single person to decide potentially means decent items gets binned – I’d love to see a list of some products that have been rejected so we can see if there are any goodies (which I bet there are a few)

426 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
SimpleSites4U says

Not a terrible idea, or just buy an TF clone and setup your own marketplace

Does seem like the basis for bigger site (I know im babbling but youve sparked an idea off for me and and trying to formulate what im thinking)

604 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
UBLThemes says

Not a terrible idea, or just buy an TF clone and setup your own marketplace Does seem like the basis for bigger site (I know im babbling but youve sparked an idea off for me and and trying to formulate what im thinking)

Already done this, all my rejections go to another website that earns ;)

170 posts The Joomla Guy
  • Won a Competition
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+4 more
hogash says

I honestly think that reviewers improved my design skills and i learned important guidelines when designing. Most authors (even the godfathers) still receive rejections which actually make improving their work.

These guys do this daily and know how a good design looks. Of course, designs opinions are relative as you said, however the reviewers don;t really care if the design sells or not (or if any client likes it), they ensure the visual quality and aesthetics are proper for ThemeForest.

When i got rejected, i always improved my design. It’s a fact!

1592 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

I can’t agree with that, the reviewers do a good job and if they reject one item it’s because it can generate even more sales and become even better with some modifications. You can’t just accept all the average themes with the thought that there are buyers that would buy them. That’s ThemeForest, there may be other clones where they accept everything in order to make some money from comissions, but that’s not the case here.

604 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
UBLThemes says

I honestly think that reviewers improved my design skills and i learned important guidelines when designing. Most authors (even the godfathers) still receive rejections which actually make improving their work.

These guys do this daily and know how a good design looks. Of course, designs opinions are relative as you said, however the reviewers don;t really care if the design sells or not (or if any client likes it), they ensure the visual quality and aesthetics are proper for ThemeForest.

When i got rejected, i always improved my design. It’s a fact!

I agree sometimes the review team can enhance the design aspect etc, but again so can 1000’s of buyers giving comments whilst giving votes.

6785 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

you got lots of rejection I presume

933 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
graphicmind says

Interesting idea but how would enough buyers be prompted to vote? Also would everyone be considered buyers, like authors and new members?

btw, some similar ideas here: http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/review-system-improvement/60914

604 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
UBLThemes says

I can’t agree with that, the reviewers do a good job and if they reject one item it’s because it can generate even more sales and become even better with some modifications. You can’t just accept all the average themes with the thought that there are buyers that would buy them. That’s ThemeForest, there may be other clones where they accept everything in order to make some money from comissions, but that’s not the case here.

I didn’t state accept average themes, i was suggesting a voting system, if it was average then it the public would not vote for it to be on the marketplace. Or at least i would not anyway.

by
by
by
by
by
by