7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
erikmax7 says

Can you guys please help me out with some useful tips about sound-card and studio monitor. It would really help if you guys could let me know which brand of sound card and studio monitor you are using and would suggest me to use. Also is studio headphone good enough or a better option than studio monitor in case of music composition? I am currently using windows 7 on my desktop. Also the software I am using are reason and neundo.

25 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
CrabbaBuzz says

I use Focusrite Saffire pro40 – (very nice and clean sounding preamps, friendly interface and 64 bit drivers for win7 ) and yamaha msp7 monitors – nice freq response. Sennheiser HD 650 -great headphones.

1933 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
matsteiner says

Hi
Depends inwhich price range you’re looking.
If you want something that is really good but not expensive, check the KRK Rockit 6 Monitors. If you need a lot of bass, you can still buy the KRK Sub 10s.

Audio Interface: You should buy a RME, the best interfaces and most reliable interfaces on the market! Very good driver support for all OS, even for very old interfaces! The Babyface would be the cheapest of their range and it’s still incredible fast (latency) and really good overall quality.

The Fireface UC has more In & Outs and better Mic Preamps, but the Babyface Preamps are very good too! If this is too expensive a Audiobox USB from Presonus is a solid choice too, but of course with much higher latencies!
I wish you goo luck in the jungle.

1108 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
UJ-pro says

Hi Erik,

i agree with Mat. Checked some monitors for a friend one time and the Rockit 6 where really good for the price. I also often read that people would like to have the Adam F7. Don’t know them but could also very interesting.

I’m using the Steinberg UR28M Desktop Interface and I’m very happy with it. It’s a question of your requirement, especially how many inputs you’ll need.

I’m using an older headphone Sennheiser HD-250 II which is awesome sounding. Using a headphone can be usefull for some reasons in mixing. Mine are very good to check the treble and stereo spreading.

I hope I could help a little bit.

kristopherfisheraudio
kristopherfisheraudio Recent Posts
Threads Started
482 posts
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
kristopherfisheraudio says

While Matt is right, I can vote for the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 as I am using one. Great soundcard. I guess it depends really on what you want to use it for. The Pro 40 for me is overkill as I just use it as a monitor output, I very rarely record live instruments and if I do its just the odd guitar so its a waste of I/O for me!

RME I have heard are very good though. :)

139 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Lebanon
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
FaroukMallah says

Hello, i’m using Digidesign 003 Rack (my interface, very powerful and high quality) KRK Rokit 8 (in my opinion these are the best monitors out there!) and Sennheiser HD 650 (Headphones)

373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
Revturkey says

I’m with Crabba… I like the Yamaha MSP Monitors. Very good for the money.

I have a Digidesign/Avid Eleven Rack. Very good interface if you don’t need many ins/outs and has some good guitar modeling features. I like it.

I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT250 Headphones which have served me great for 15 years+

:)

7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
erikmax7 says

Thanks all for your suggestion. I intend to buy a Steinberg UR 28M audio interface. I don’t need to many inputs and outputs. That’s why I am going for it. Do you have any idea about it? Could you let me know if it’s going to be a good choice or not? Also let me know if you have any thoughts about Yamaha HS80M 8” Powered Studio Monitor.

1108 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
UJ-pro says

Hi Erik,

for my requirements the UR28M was the best choice. There’s nothing bad I could tell about it so far. Nice Sound and monitor features (0 latency with good sounding Reverb and Comp on your headphones). 3 x Stereo-Out or 5.1, 2 x Headphone-Out, Class AA Mic Preamps and I like the desktop style and the good overview for me.

If you’re still looking for a headphone there is already another thread with more informations for you. I picked out that the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro could be a good choice:

http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/headphones-suggestion/96080

I can’t say anything about the HS80M.

All I can generally say about monitoring is, that I would strongly recommend you to take the time to listen to speaker and headphones with your own ears and expectations.

I remember when I bought my Sennheiser HD 250 linearII a long time ago. There was two big media shops standing together. I spended at least 2 hours to listen to umpteen headphones from Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sony, Sennheiser…. At the end the HD 250 (175,- $) was the best for me and quite similar to much more expensive Sony. I never regret this buy and I’m still using them.

So, take your time and for everything that gives you directly the sound – listen to it! You have to work with it. :-)

1933 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
matsteiner says

Hey my friends
In my experience those Steinberg interfaces are solid built and provide a good audio quality, but make way too much latency!!! I would really consider to buy a RME Babyface and it will be your last interface for a looong time!
And Yamaha HS80M has sooo much highs and basses, but no mids! Dangerous to use it as a monitor! The right oposite of Ymaha NS10…. I prefer KRK Rokit in this price range,since they have some mids too.
Cheers, Mat

by
by
by
by
by
by