1045 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says
So you want the form hard to get to… and when they finally get there, make them choose a bunch of options… got it… Missed that section in one of my UI design guru books… ;)

No, I want it on my account profile page where it is now. That’s a whopping one click away from any of my item pages. And adding a single drop down with 3 choices is far from “a bunch of options”, or didn’t the UI guru mention that? ;)

I prefer the form on my profile page because it’s centralized. If you include it on the the theme info page the first act from a customer will be to email instead of visiting the discussion area. If you add the form to the discussion area you will get a lot more duplication of emails that were also posted in the discussion. That means I must answer both places or the public appearance is that you don’t answer questions. Also, if more customers email first it’s harder for prospective buyers to know if there are a lot of problems with a theme.

While I prefer a customer email me with involved questions I also want to have most of them answered in the discussion area because it becomes a resource for others. I think that was even part of the reason behind the current placement of the email form on the account page and not being on the item pages.

659 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
luckykind says
So you want the form hard to get to… and when they finally get there, make them choose a bunch of options… got it… Missed that section in one of my UI design guru books… ;)

No, I want it on my account profile page where it is now. That’s a whopping one click away from any of my item pages. And adding a single drop down with 3 choices is far from “a bunch of options”, or didn’t the UI guru mention that? ;)

I prefer the form on my profile page because it’s centralized. If you include it on the the theme info page the first act from a customer will be to email instead of visiting the discussion area. If you add the form to the discussion area you will get a lot more duplication of emails that were also posted in the discussion. That means I must answer both places or the public appearance is that you don’t answer questions. Also, if more customers email first it’s harder for prospective buyers to know if there are a lot of problems with a theme.

While I prefer a customer email me with involved questions I also want to have most of them answered in the discussion area because it becomes a resource for others. I think that was even part of the reason behind the current placement of the email form on the account page and not being on the item pages.

1) I’m not sure that the FIRST thing users would do is email you… I mean I believe most people would do a quick scan of the discussion area to see if they can get a quick answer VS sending an email and waiting for a reply… if you have a PHP question, most don’t rush straight to the PHP boards and post a question… you’d probably do a Google search first… kind of the same thing…

2) That whopping one click away is not always known to buyers… that’s why we constantly get threads in the forum asking, “How do you do such and such, in (insert name) theme?”... Mostly because a) they never found that form on the profile page… or/and b) the author hasn’t answered the question in the Discussion area… either because they don’t care or its unknown to them that a question has been asked… no notification system.

3) If you feel a question might be repeatedly asked… I’m guessing that’s what the FAQ on the item page is for… In fact, most people are accustom to going towards a FAQ link on websites in search for an answer… so you would need to “double” answer/post anyways…

Anyways… I believe my solution for solving your original problem (knowing which item the email-er was referring to) is easier on the user… It might mean taking on a few more emails, but if you’re keen on the idea of keeping your buyers happy and offering some type of minimal support… my preference is to know their questions as they come in… :)

+10 more
Parallelus says

I still like my solution better.

+10 more
Parallelus says
3) If you feel a question might be repeatedly asked… I’m guessing that’s what the FAQ on the item page is for… In fact, most people are accustom to going towards a FAQ link on websites in search for an answer… so you would need to “double” answer/post anyways… Anyways… I believe my solution for solving your original problem (knowing which item the email-er was referring to) is easier on the user… It might mean taking on a few more emails, but if you’re keen on the idea of keeping your buyers happy and offering some type of minimal support… my preference is to know their questions as they come in… :)

The duplication I mentioned was in reference to a single user posting the same question on the discussion area and sending an email. I do believe if the contact form were right in front of them on the item page this would happen a lot more often.

I provide my customers much more than minimal support. I spend several hours daily answering questions and helping with customizations. My goal with this thread isn’t to improve the quality of support. There is no controlling that as it’s in the hands of the individual author. My reason for the original post was to provide a simple suggestion as a way to prevent a common problem by adding a subject line. I am not suggesting we redefine the system.

659 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
luckykind says

Not trying to improve support either…

Your problem:
I would say about 90% or more of people who contact me don’t mention which theme they are asking about.

Your solution was/is (or least you’ve referred to it a couple times) to have some type of secondary drop down list with items in it… one of the top authors amongst the marketplaces has over 200 items… that’s a pretty big drop down list… doubt a user is going to sort through that to find an item…

Mine was just to put the form on the item page… then it’s done, the smart form let’s you know the item… and the user isn’t inconvenienced… whether it leads to some additional things happening or not happening is a whole other debatable issue… but at least it solves your initial problem as easy as possible, which is what I was intending…

probably better to rock, paper, scissors to see who’s right…

by
by
by
by
by
by