557 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
kriskorn says

Thank you for the feedback. It seems that only I (maybe someone else also) think that the “New Items” section produces items which aren’t unique in any way – authors try to be on the homepage just for the sake of exposure. If that section wasn’t there, then authors would put a lot more effort into uniqueness and try to be better than their competition. I am not saying that my design is 100% top notch, not at all. To be honest (talking about the homepage), I like the header I made and the rest of it isn’t probably the best, it is just to give you an idea.

Would love to know what some of the staff members think of this thread. Would it be possible that the marketplace had a different approach to the homepage ? This could only work with a better search system of course.

Have a nice evening,
Kris

631 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

Thank you for the feedback. It seems that only I (maybe someone else also) think that the “New Items” section produces items which aren’t unique in any way – authors try to be on the homepage just for the sake of exposure. If that section wasn’t there, then authors would put a lot more effort into uniqueness and try to be better than their competition. I am not saying that my design is 100% top notch, not at all. To be honest (talking about the homepage), I like the header I made and the rest of it isn’t probably the best, it is just to give you an idea.

Would love to know what some of the staff members think of this thread. Would it be possible that the marketplace had a different approach to the homepage ? This could only work with a better search system of course.

Have a nice evening,
Kris

Hi Kris! Just to be clear, i didn’t mean the ‘quality’ of the design, more about the items that need to be there for a commercial site like this.

But i get your point about the uniqueness of items and i praise whatever solution that will make authors try to make better and more unique items! But you’ll always have to keep in mind that it’s a marketplace which needs to sell their stuff, and not a museum with only the most beautiful creations which will never leave their place ( as in get purchased ).

Allthough i don’t think it matters super much to be on that homepage nowadays, as it’s one day or two at the most lately. So creating quick non-unique items for those couple of sales in that small timeframe it’s on the homepage will only destroy you in the end.

Better search: +1

639 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Crakken says

Come on, they don’t have time and manpower for improvements on marketplaces. Oh, wait, they are just launching new site on which whole new team worked 3 months..

You don’t know how sad this makes me :(

161 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
themebros says

First of all, i do agree about the search, it needs to be better.

About the homepage, who cares about it. We need more sales and not more views. Sales increase after a few days (when the item isn’t even on the homepage). The first few days are always slow sale days.

Those who check the items on the homepage are just checking out new items, a big percentage of them doesn’t even plan on buying anything.

But of course i might be wrong, Envato has the data and they know where the sales come from, so i hope they’ll make the right decisions.

1204 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

A real buyer, who knows what he need, will never buy a template without browsing the categories or without using the search form.

So all what we need is an advanced search form and nothing more. The homepage is ok and, yes, when a potential buyer visit first time TF he would like to see some examples of what he could buy. So, latest items are the best option for this.

Again. We need a better search form. This from 3docean looks good and I don’t understand what’s the problem to implement it in other marketplaces, too?

557 posts
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
kriskorn says

Have a nice evening,
Kris

Hi Kris! Just to be clear, i didn’t mean the ‘quality’ of the design, more about the items that need to be there for a commercial site like this.

But i get your point about the uniqueness of items and i praise whatever solution that will make authors try to make better and more unique items! But you’ll always have to keep in mind that it’s a marketplace which needs to sell their stuff, and not a museum with only the most beautiful creations which will never leave their place ( as in get purchased ).

Allthough i don’t think it matters super much to be on that homepage nowadays, as it’s one day or two at the most lately. So creating quick non-unique items for those couple of sales in that small timeframe it’s on the homepage will only destroy you in the end.

Better search: +1

I know you didn’t mean the quality. :)
We were and we all are on the same page – Themeforest just needs a better search system and a little bit of modernizing the site = design & code. So it could be viewed and used on mobile devices.

894 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+5 more
infuse01 says
Altough I personally like your design (even if it looks pretty similar to various existing themes), I would say that it is REALLY important to know the behaviour of the clients. Without exact statistics it becomes pitty to design a useable, appealing and promoting website/homepage. Especially in the scale like themeforest where you have about nearly 2,5 Million Members it would be good to know:
  • how many accounts are still active?
  • How many accounts have purchases?
  • How many purchases have those accounts?
  • How many accounts make “impulsive purchases”?
  • On which pages do users stay the most?
  • and many many more

After you/we know this statistics it will become possible to enhance the whole website, even with features like a “shopping cart” which is obviously a pretty tough step since it can affect the whole “purchase power” of this marketplace.

So in the end it isn’t only a graphical enhancement to make the website more appealing, it is much more of a business and strategical decision which needs to be made.

Btw: I also have started a screen design for a new homepage layout a few months ago but stopped it because of the reasons mentioned above.

by
by
by
by
by
by