475 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 8-9 years
cyan Staff says

For anyone with cash in their marketplace account, security should be of the utmost importance. Any member website over a certain size will fall prey to individuals attempting to hack member accounts.

We do everything we can on our end to protect member’s accounts, but if a member has a weak password that a hacker can guess off the bat, there’s nothing we can do to stop it.

So what can you do to protect your account? HAVE A SECURE PASSWORD .

A secure password is one that:

1. Is unique to your marketplace account (you never know what sort of security other sites will have).
  2. Has numbers, uppercase letters, and lowercase letters.
  3. Has 8 characters or more.
  4. Does not contain your username, the word “password”, or simple number sequences like “123456”.
  5. Is changed regularly and is NEVER given to anyone else.

If your password does not follow these rules, then go change it right now (learn how to change it here).

Please be aware that if your account is accessed because your password is insecure, Membership Terms and Conditions states that it is entirely your responsibility:

You are responsible for each and every access or use of the Sites that occurs in conjunction with use of your username and password. Use of your username and password is conclusive evidence that you have accessed the Membership sections of the Sites. You must use all reasonable efforts to keep your username and password confidential.

Why is that? It’s because if your password is a really silly one (such as “123456”, “qwerty”, “password”, or your username), there’s literally nothing we can do to stop a hacker accessing your account. You need to treat your password like your bank card pin number.

So in closing, it really is of paramount importance, especially if you’re an author or volume buyer, that you make sure your account is safe and secure. We’ll do everything we can on our end, but we can only keep your account safe if you have a secure password.

468 posts
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
GREATLIBERO says

Mine is so safe, even I can’t remember it. Every time I must pick this: ” forgot your password “BUTTON. Really.

382 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
blabus says

I understand obviously why passwords and accounts should be secure, but for anyone who checks their account regularly, I don’t really see how much damage could be done by someone who gains access to it- if they were to request a payout, they wouldn’t get it immediately, and so as soon as you logged in again you’d notice it and be able to cancel the request (and then change your password :) )

Or am I missing something else?

294 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
PixeledArt says
I understand obviously why passwords and accounts should be secure, but for anyone who checks their account regularly, I don’t really see how much damage could be done by someone who gains access to it- if they were to request a payout, they wouldn’t get it immediately, and so as soon as you logged in again you’d notice it and be able to cancel the request (and then change your password :) ) Or am I missing something else?

They could request a payout using their own e-mail/paypal account and I’m sure everyone doesn’t check the withdrawal tab everyday.

Well they could

1. delete your items
  2. spam the forums
  3. buy stuff with your money
  4. abuse the terms of use
  5. damage your reputation
;)
BTW : Are symbols allowed?

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Or, change your password, and you can’t log back in :)

475 posts
  • Australia
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 8-9 years
cyan Staff says
I understand obviously why passwords and accounts should be secure, but for anyone who checks their account regularly, I don’t really see how much damage could be done by someone who gains access to it- if they were to request a payout, they wouldn’t get it immediately, and so as soon as you logged in again you’d notice it and be able to cancel the request (and then change your password :) ) Or am I missing something else?

What they can do is go in and spend your earnings on files. It doesn’t take long to spend up big.

Alternately they can go in and download your files to distribute on piracy sites.

It’s REALLY important to have a super safe password for these reasons!

2529 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey, everyone. And remember – there are plenty of apps available around the web which will allow you to have as complicated a password as possible, without having to remember it!

I personally use 1Password for Mac, but there are a plethora of other programs for PC/Linux/Mac available. :)

http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says
Hey, everyone. And remember – there are plenty of apps available around the web which will allow you to have as complicated a password as possible, without having to remember it!

I personally use 1Password for Mac, but there are a plethora of other programs for both PC/Linux/Mac available. :)

http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password

+1

I’m still using http://www.passpack.com and switching over to 1Password slowly. I should prob. finish moving everything over tonight, lol.

595 posts THINK DIFFERENT
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
Generator says

I just changed my VH password. Signed out and was redirected to the activeden homepage. Odd.

116 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
finsta2 says

I use Lastpass Works really good and syncs across my 4 computers.

by
by
by
by
by
by