• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

i think the proof is in the pudding – like some themes just keep selling more and more, and they sell more because they a) great and b) have lots of sales/ratings.

for example if you look in the Admin theme, some have over 1000 sales and don’t get me wrong they deserve it, but i imagine alot of the buyers of those are going by the sheep mentality that because it’s sold alot, it must be great – anyone else agree?

960 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

whoops a double post!

252 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
der says
Welcome to the forums and marketplaces :) As others have been noting, author support is highly encouraged but it is not required. You can check out comments and ratings on the individual file page as well as ask the author any questions. Any others questions just let us know!

I don’t agree with the “rating” part.

Sometime buyers mess the theme and think it’s your fault and give you 1 star .. Those ratings are ridiculous.
Maybe an idea to create a mandatory field where the user needs to give up a reason when he’s rating 1 or 2 stars. Just thinking up loud.
There is a LOT of thing that can be done to improve this rating.

+1

A reason for the rating can be cool, something like Amazon’s ratings where you see why the users provided the rating. Example.

This helps authors correct any mistakes they’ve made and see what features users love most or features users would like to see on the theme. Also, this might increase customer satisfaction and provide even more sales.

For example, when I’m going to buy a book, I always look at what others have been saying about their experience with the book (along with the ratings). This has a strong influence on the potential-buyer to purchase the file.

87 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Aaron_Osteraas says

Ask questions before buying, make sure the product will do what it needs to do for you. That way you can find out if it is something that you can do yourself or will need extra assistance with, that may even require payment.

by
by
by
by
by
by