142 posts Get in the spotlight
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
FamousThemes says

It’s just me or everyone notice that with time, and growth on sales, developing time is getting smaller and smaller and support time is growing.

I mean I spend 3-4 hours a days, for offering support, answering emails, making customizations , 2-3 hours developing new themes and 1-2 hours learning new design techniques and improving coding and programming. This when I have a full working day.

Just out of curiosity from the great elite authors outhere, is this true ? I mean I will end up answering emails all day and offering support and customizations ? :) I really want to concentrate on developing and learning.

I know I can hire someone for support, but for now we cannot afford one.

Regards.

701 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

1) write a support policy – this will help you and your buyers to understand what you do and what you do not within the scope of theme support

2) Set up online helpdesk or support forums and provide support there

3) do not provide free customization – it will eat up all your time!

4) Hire a support guy/girl ;)

?

n) Profit!!!

+6 more
FamousThemes says

Thanks Dream Theme for the sugestions.

Well I will definitely go for this solutions…I don’t have other choices :)

388 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
EugeneO says

The most important thing is for you to draw a clear distinction between item support and customization and stick to it. Make it clear to buyers that customization is not free. This way if you still choose to do customization at least you are being compensated for your time.

You can help yourself out in the long run by making use of the item FAQ page, making sure your items are well documented and designed in a user friendly way, all of which will reduce support questions.

3007 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
+7 more
duotive says

How much do you charge for customizations? And do not tell me hourly rate because it does not take an hour to make the changes. And how do you keep track of them all?

+6 more
FamousThemes says

Thank for the advices EugeneO

How much do you charge for customizations? And do not tell me hourly rate because it does not take an hour to make the changes. And how do you keep track of them all?

I have never charged for customizations. But I have never made customizations that last more than 10-30 min to do.

Never keeped track of them all, this was a problem.

Well after all the thinking and discussions with the partners, we decided to build a suport forum, and complete how many FAQ we can for each item based to all email answers that we have given so far.

Sounds like a lot of work :) I guess it will last 1-2 month to realize all that.

And we allready got an email from one person interested in offering help to support our work :).

Thanks.

by
by
by
by
by
by