• Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

...Credit card and Paypal transaction fees are something like 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction. I don’t see how there is a need for “surcharge” here since the difference in multiple payment and one single fund deposit is a matter of $0.30….

I don’t know if that is true ($0.3) – but if it is, then you have a point. Could some Envato representative chime in and tell us the math behind the $2?

354 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
pixeful says

Like to get extra dollar ;)

32 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
orangecounty says

...Credit card and Paypal transaction fees are something like 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction. I don’t see how there is a need for “surcharge” here since the difference in multiple payment and one single fund deposit is a matter of $0.30….
I don’t know if that is true ($0.3) – but if it is, then you have a point. Could some Envato representative chime in and tell us the math behind the $2?

Do a simple google and you will realize $0.30 is what Paypal charges plus about 2.9% which for my case of $5 only cost them $0.495 to process a transaction.

The $2 isn’t a lot but that’s not the point. Evanto is creating unpleasant surprises which ultimately tarnishes user buying experience. At the end of the day, it’s the wrong message they are trying to send.

This also affects designers as they potentially lose sales because the $2 creates a lot of buying friction for the customer.

I always say, don’t do evil. Evanto is doing just that.

475 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Germany
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
GraficAndMedia says

I think its a fair way, because every transaction costs money (0.50 AUSD) + more fees.

32 posts
orangecounty says

Like to get extra dollar ;)

They could refund my $1.50 difference based on market rate just to make be feel good. Or better still, abolish the surcharge. Who still talks about surcharges on the internet anymore when buying digital goods? Are we going to be like the airline industry with all those airport tax, fuel surcharges, baggage fees, etc?

32 posts
orangecounty says

I think its a fair way, because every transaction costs money (0.50 AUSD) + more fees.

With the massive revenues evanto gets, i’m sure they get heavily discounted transaction cost from the credit card processing companies. Even if you factor in fraud mitigation cost, the cost for processing the transaction is still way lower.

6765 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

Yes, Envato openly said they invest the money to earn interest on it.

when?

anyway, if you deposit a minimum of 20$ you get a discount of 2$ on any item you purchase.

I know for the buyer is not clear but Envato doesn’t keep those 2$ for themselves but will give the correct percentage to the author like when you purchase with the discount option.

From the point of the buyer this “earn interest” theory is ridiculous. When you pay for an item you give the money to envato. Is not your concern anymore on what they do with those money.

Is their money, they can do whatever they want with them.

When you deposit money you actually purchase credits. Again, you give your money to envato, they give you credits, they are free to do what they want with those money after that. :) They can go to vegas and play them all at roulette.

1363 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

It’s probably because their system isn’t smart enough to calculate a percentage based on your transaction. They gain a little money on smaller priced items, but they lose money with the higher priced items so it evens out, and $2 is a good fixed price to set that at. I do know they are working on a shopping cart for the marketplace, so maybe they can code something in to calculate the surcharge to cover the paypal fees.

32 posts
orangecounty says

Yes, Envato openly said they invest the money to earn interest on it.

when?

anyway, if you deposit a minimum of 20$ you get a discount of 2$ on any item you purchase.

I know for the buyer is not clear but Envato doesn’t keep those 2$ for themselves but will give the correct percentage to the author like when you purchase with the discount option.

From the point of the buyer this “earn interest” theory is ridiculous. When you pay for an item you give the money to envato. Is not your concern anymore on what they do with those money.

Is their money, they can do whatever they want with them.

When you deposit money you actually purchase credits. Again, you give your money to envato, they give you credits, they are free to do what they want with those money after that. :) They can go to vegas and play them all at roulette.

Why would I want to give them money so that can go to vegas in the first place? As a buyer, I don’t view it as getting a $2 discount when I deposit. Instead I view it as simply depositing my money in the account to save me the hassle of entering my credit card details again. The problem comes when I have to pay the extra $2 on top of the advertised price after clicking the “Purchase” button.

Evanto is a tech company, not a design company. The bulk of the people behind the company are developers and coders. Probably just a few UI designers, and some customer service. I would be very surprised if after 7 years, they have not even the slightest idea how to automatically tabulate the transaction cost. Sites like freelancer.com and many others already have such calculations long ago.

6765 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

Why would I want to give them money so that can go to vegas in the first place?

you don’t give them the money for free :)

you get something in return. you get your item.

you don’t go to buy some bread then argue with the seller what he’s doing with the money he got from you for his product? Or do you?

But seriously, I don’t see where’s the problem.

For example an item cost 7$ but if deposit money and pay with those credits it cost 2$ less. Pretty good deal I may say.

by
by
by
by
by
by