32 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
orangecounty says

Why would I want to give them money so that can go to vegas in the first place?

you don’t give them the money for free :)

you get something in return. you get your item.

you don’t go to buy some bread then argue with the seller what he’s doing with the money he got from you for his product? Or do you?

I was talking about them creating the $2 surcharge to FORCE us into doing $20 fund deposit.

So why would I want to give them free money which is found in my evanto account so that they can go vegas or buy some land so they can enjoy somewhere at a nice melbourne coast with nice view at 0% mortgage loan?

Effectively, what they are trying to say is:”Hey kid, you want some crack? Cough up 20 bucks so I can give you 5 bucks worth. The remaining 15 bucks stays with me until you need more crack. Don’t wana give me 20 bucks eh? Too bad, price for crack just increased by $2 for you kid.”

Now you get the point?

7173 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

don’t know if comparing our hard worked items with crack is good thing or an insult :)

do you intend to buy only one item now and never come back here? If yes, then you can just pay the normal price.

If you like to buy more items in the future for your projects then envato gives you the possibility to pay less for all items but you need to deposit a minimum amount of 20$. I think is a fair deal.

3504 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
ToivoMedia says

I’m a bit surprised that anyone is actually discussing an issue that boils down to the difference of $2 in price of an already low price product. You could have earned that in the time you’ve spent pontificating on internet forums. :D

3504 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
ToivoMedia says

don’t know if comparing our hard worked items with crack is good thing or an insult :)

This guy’s here to make friends!

32 posts
orangecounty says

90% of those here on the forums are probably designers. You may be buying from others but you are still a designer. You have not been on the other side of the fence as a true non-designer buyer. C’mon how many buyers would buy and stay around at the forums? They probably just bought your items and off they go busy with whatever they are making. There are many other platforms they are sourcing their digital assets from.

The $2 doesn’t matter to me. It’s having the price mis-represented and only revealed when the “Purchase” button is clicked that errr me . As buyers, we feel cheated.

Designers, consider my view. At the end of the day, the $2 which creates buying friction ultimately affects your sales which you can never quantify since the user site data statistics are kept with evanto. We buyers just pay for our things and go. If the price isn’t right, we just click back to another platform that offers something similar.

Just my 2 cents :)

8186 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

Considering what you’re getting for your money I’m surprised you’re even arguing about it… in fact the amount of time you’ve spent arguing about this you’ve probably wasted more than $2 of your time…

If you buyers felt cheated as you put it there would be alot more threads about this however I actually can’t remember the last time anyone complained about the $2 surcharge and it’s been around for quite a while now.

You’d do well to get the same quality elsewhere so you’ll likely be back and wishing you’d just deposited ;)

On a more serious note please refrain from discussing the trading on drugs on these forums please, even if it was metaphorical, thankyou.

939 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

Effectively, what they are trying to say is:”Hey kid, you want some crack? Cough up 20 bucks so I can give you 5 bucks worth. The remaining 15 bucks stays with me until you need more crack. Don’t wana give me 20 bucks eh? Too bad, price for crack just increased by $2 for you kid.”

Now you get the point?
THAT [removed by mod] SHOULD LET THE POOR KID HAVE HIS CRACK :’( I’m drowning in tears now! I understand your pain completely!!!

edit: please refrain from using inappropriate language on the forums.

3420 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Hey guys,

While I think the $2 surcharge is totally reasonable, I think there are a few things Envato could be doing better, and this buyer feedback is important – it indicates that we can be better serving customers and we might be leaving money on the table. Improving this experience could be a simple task and would be a win-win situation.

1. We should be making it clear that making a deposit gives you a discount. The way it has been set up historically, the $2 difference looks like a tax on paying without depositing. I maintain that which is the “real” price and which is the “adjusted” price is just a matter of perspective; we can do a better job of presenting the pricing structure as a discount rather than a surcharge. It should be presented as a reward for depositing, not a punishment for using “Buy Now”.

2. There used to be a little note on products below the purchase button that said “Add $2 if not using prepaid credits”. This seems to be gone (correct me if I’m wrong). Given that, I can totally understand buyers being upset if they’re not provided this information until AFTER clicking the purchase button (though before making an actual purchase of course). Including that detail in a tooltip on the Purchase button might be enough. Or make it “From $45”, or ”$45 with deposit credits”, for example. Or perhaps the button should say “Pricing Options” rather than “Purchase”, or have a link to “How pricing works” below the purchase button. “Purchase” seems very final and most buyers won’t click that till they’ve made a decision; being presented with apparent pricing changes after making a decision would definitely be frustrating.

I don’t think displaying a discounted price as the main price is an issue at all – businesses do this all the time – you just need to list the conditions that need to be met to get that price. But right now it seems like the discounted price is the ONLY price, so I can understand buyers feeling a bit surprised when presented with the purchase options & surcharge.

Who knows how many buyers this is turning off? While the price difference is insignificant, I can imagine many buyers leaving on the principle of the thing, simply because of the less-than-optimal way in which it was presented to them. Seems like an easy fix, so why not at least consider it?

Chris

32 posts
orangecounty says

Hey guys,

While I think the $2 surcharge is totally reasonable, I think there are a few things Envato could be doing better, and this buyer feedback is important – it indicates that we can be better serving customers and we might be leaving money on the table. Improving this experience could be a simple task and would be a win-win situation.

1. We should be making it clear that making a deposit gives you a discount. The way it has been set up historically, the $2 difference looks like a tax on paying without depositing. I maintain that which is the “real” price and which is the “adjusted” price is just a matter of perspective; we can do a better job of presenting the pricing structure as a discount rather than a surcharge.

2. There used to be a little note on products below the purchase button that said “Add $2 if not using prepaid credits”. This seems to be gone (correct me if I’m wrong). Given that, I can totally understand buyers being upset if they’re not provided this information until AFTER clicking the purchase button (though before making an actual purchase of course). Including that detail in a tooltip on the Purchase button might be enough. Or make it “From $45”, or ”$45 with deposit credits”, for example. Or perhaps the button should say “Pricing Options” rather than “Purchase”, or have a link to “How pricing works” below the purchase button. “Purchase” seems very final and most buyers won’t click that till they’ve made a decision; being presented with apparent pricing changes after making a decision would definitely be frustrating.

I don’t think displaying a discounted price as the main price is an issue at all – businesses do this all the time – you just need to list the conditions that need to be met to get that price. But right now it seems like the discounted price is the ONLY price, so I can understand buyers feeling a bit surprised when presented with the purchase options & surcharge.

Who knows how many buyers this is turning off? While the price difference is insignificant, I can imagine many buyers leaving on the principle of the thing, simply because of the less-than-optimal way in which it was presented to them. Seems like an easy fix, so why not at least consider it?

Chris

Finally got someone who can see through my spectacles. I leave this on the table for the community here to decide. At the end of the day, it’s the designers’ sales that get affected.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

As @sevenspark said – it’s all about how it’s presented – if the main price was the price + $2 surcharge with a note to save $2 when you make a deposit this wouldn’t even be an issue. It’s just badly presented right now that’s all.

Jonathan

by
by
by
by
by
by