1465 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

@sevenspark – well said. I marked your post to request staff reply :)

3446 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Thanks, guys – hopefully we’ll see a positive result out of this discussion :)

1875 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

Gave it a second thought and realized that the author gets around 50-70% from those $2 – so that might be one of the reason why the surcharge is higher. Envato does not have a system where they could separate the item price from the surcharge, they probably had to put those to together, then split the whole price (basic+surcharge) with authors. They had to bump the surcharge because most of the surcharge goes to authors.

7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Finally got someone who can see through my spectacles.

Is what I was saying from the beginning but I admit he say it better :)

386 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
krafti says

I would prefer buyers to deposit larger amounts :evil: = higher ref cuts :P

yeah i would love that too.

to my mind, buyers and potential buyers should be animated to deposit a higher amount of money. event if they are only interested in files less their deposited amount of money. so they are “forced” to spend the rest of their money too or have enough balance to discover other great files they want/need too.

32 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
orangecounty says

I would prefer buyers to deposit larger amounts :evil: = higher ref cuts :P

yeah i would love that too.

to my mind, buyers and potential buyers should be animated to deposit a higher amount of money. event if they are only interested in files less their deposited amount of money. so they are “forced” to spend the rest of their money too or have enough balance to discover other great files they want/need too.

History have shown that trying to do evil and “force” customer to deposit more than they needed to pay will end up south ways. They are just waiting for another company to step in and take it’s market share by really listening to customers.

Think about this, I needed only a $5 item but is forced to deposit $20. Do you really think I would blindly pick any other item down the road just because I wana make sure I fully use up my $20 deposit? This is not like shopping for groceries or clothes. We come to Envato for a very specific purpose and that purpose is to get that very item we need. Impulse shopping rarely occur here. I may just be needing an item probably once in my lifetime since it’s a school project. So before I deposit that $20, I will ask myself the question if I will really be using up the remaining $15. If not, I rather not buy at Envato and try another alternative platform.

Like I have always been saying, $2 is really not a lot but when my buying experience has been affected due to mis-representation, I really think twice again if I should deal with this company.

From the post, I can tell WebSmacker and myself have clicked the “Request Staff Reply”. There may be a few others. Despite that, the envato management team choose to not step in to give any word but cross their arms in hopes this thread will die down.

7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

I’m sure I’m losing my time with this because you obviously have no experience with stock marketplaces but for other people who may read this thread and may tend to agree with you. First other marketplaces cost way more. If you purchased the item here with 7$ on similar marketplace would cost at least 15$ or even more. Also, on many marketplaces if you need to get a similar discount as here you have to purchase a monthly subscription fee that will give you a certain number of credits each month. Practically you are obligated to deposit money each month.

1465 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+3 more
WebSmacker says

History have shown that trying to do evil and “force” customer to deposit more than they needed to pay will end up south ways. They are just waiting for another company to step in and take it’s market share by really listening to customers. ... So before I deposit that $20, I will ask myself the question if I will really be using up the remaining $15. If not, I rather not buy at Envato and try another alternative platform.

As Doru said, you will pay at least 3 times more on other marketplaces. I think they should switch it around, charge $7 for the item but give you a $2 discount for using pre-paid deposits. Than you would feel like your getting a deal instead of getting screwed.

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Impulse shopping rarely occur here

See my badge (purchased over 100 files)? 99% of them were impulse shopping :D

32 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
orangecounty says

History have shown that trying to do evil and “force” customer to deposit more than they needed to pay will end up south ways. They are just waiting for another company to step in and take it’s market share by really listening to customers. ... So before I deposit that $20, I will ask myself the question if I will really be using up the remaining $15. If not, I rather not buy at Envato and try another alternative platform.
As Doru said, you will pay at least 3 times more on other marketplaces. I think they should switch it around, charge $7 for the item but give you a $2 discount for using pre-paid deposits. Than you would feel like your getting a deal instead of getting screwed.

That would do the trick. It’s always best to under promise and list full price first. I think some people here is missing the point. No one is arguing which marketplace is cheaper. The contemplation here is about how things get sold NOT how cheap it gets sold :)

by
by
by
by
by
by