• Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+6 more
KingDog Staff says

From the post, I can tell WebSmacker and myself have clicked the “Request Staff Reply”. There may be a few others. Despite that, the envato management team choose to not step in to give any word but cross their arms in hopes this thread will die down.

Not the case at all. I’ve been thinking about a better way of presenting the price and we’ll be talking to our new UX team to see what we can do. The credit system is a very common way to purchase on most stock sites, but we do want to make it as easy as possible to purchase :)

341 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
krafti says

I would prefer buyers to deposit larger amounts :evil: = higher ref cuts :P

yeah i would love that too.

to my mind, buyers and potential buyers should be animated to deposit a higher amount of money. event if they are only interested in files less their deposited amount of money. so they are “forced” to spend the rest of their money too or have enough balance to discover other great files they want/need too.

History have shown that trying to do evil and “force” customer to deposit more than they needed to pay will end up south ways. They are just waiting for another company to step in and take it’s market share by really listening to customers.

its less about really force them, more about open an option for it, like give some benefits or bonus credits for big deposits.

32 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
orangecounty says
Not the case at all. I’ve been thinking about a better way of presenting the price and we’ll be talking to our new UX team to see what we can do. The credit system is a very common way to purchase on most stock sites, but we do want to make it as easy as possible to purchase :)

I got what I wanted from participating in this thread. Good luck on the improvements. :)

3 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • India
chirag740 says

I appreciate that CodeCanyon is providing quality code and snippets at a reasonable price. I’m not here to argue about $2 to 3 that’s always stays as deposit in my account. Luckily, I am able to use it by buying more stuff from here. :)

Having said that, I would also like to mention that this might not be the case with every buyer. Therefore the prime-movers of this website must take this into consideration and make payment hassle free process such that it’s fair game for everyone.

Good luck!

7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
pixelbat says

Not to necro an old thread, but has anyone even brought it up that surcharges are against Paypal’s terms of service? www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US

4.d Sellers may not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal as a payment method.

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

I’m new to the site, so I don’t know how long this has been going on, but being a Paypal seller myself I know this has been in their terms since the beginning. If you’re just looking to buy a theme here and there, and a lot of the themes appear to be in the $15 range, they hook you into paying $17 (w/ surcharge) or you need to deposit more, and end up having $5 just sit there until you decide to ever buy another theme, if ever. Seems very shady, especially when it’s actually going against Paypal’s terms.

3255 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

I’m new to the site, so I don’t know how long this has been going on, but being a Paypal seller myself I know this has been in their terms since the beginning. If you’re just looking to buy a theme here and there, and a lot of the themes appear to be in the $15 range, they hook you into paying $17 (w/ surcharge) or you need to deposit more, and end up having $5 just sit there until you decide to ever buy another theme, if ever. Seems very shady, especially when it’s actually going against Paypal’s terms.

The price of a template isn’t $15, is actually $17. That’s the real price!. When you deposit money you get a discount from the real price. So you are not getting charged for using PayPal, but you are discounted for depositing money.

32 posts
orangecounty says

Yea, i didn’t think about that. No wonder I still felt this issue was missing something. Restaurants and shopping malls accepting VISA or Mastercard are also not allowed to charge surcharge for using credit cards. Themeforest either bear the cost or incorporate it into the item price to make it transparent.

I’m not sure if PayPal have noticed about this practice.

7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
pixelbat says

The price of a template isn’t $15, is actually $17. That’s the real price!. When you deposit money you get a discount from the real price. So you are not getting charged for using PayPal, but you are discounted for depositing money.

I just bought a theme tonight. It said $15. When I went to check out, in black and white, it referred to the $2 more as a SURCHARGE. You can justify it however you want, but it’s published as a surcharge, and that is against Paypal’s terms of service.

32 posts
orangecounty says

It’s a nice way of painting this picture. Remove the surcharge and different buyers won’t complain. Plain simple but Themeforest choose to keep things complicated.

7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
pixelbat says

Yea, i didn’t think about that. No wonder I still felt this issue was missing something. Restaurants and shopping malls accepting VISA or Mastercard are also not allowed to charge surcharge for using credit cards. Themeforest either bear the cost or incorporate it into the item price to make it transparent. I’m not sure if PayPal have noticed about this practice.

My family owns an Italian restaurant. We accept credit cards too. We get charged a fee from our processor. It’s just part of the cost of doing business. If we didn’t accept credit cards, we would lose out on that sale all together maybe. In California here, it’s against the law to charge a surcharge for accepting credit cards as payment. It seems because the bulk of the sales themeforest probably does are under $20, the $2 more than covers the Paypal processing fee.

by
by
by
by
by
by