31 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
nachothemes says

The point of paypal terms was to disallow services to charge an exclusive fee for using it and make paypal more expensive to use compared to other payment systems(unloyal competition).

Envato is not encouraging users to use other payment systems since the $2 fee applies for all direct buy methods.

Even so, the fee is somehow ironic since you can buy x scripts begining from $1, but you need to pay $2 before, or to deposit at least twenty.

32 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
orangecounty says

I’m just intrigued at how some people twist and turn facts to make them sounds all much prettier.

a SURCHARGE is SURCHARGE. Period.

This issue was brought up more than 3 months ago. Envato took NO action. I’m just to see how long this ignorance will last.

7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • United States
pixelbat says

Guys it’s not a surcharge (even tho it says surcharge), it’s a “happy fun time fee” /sarcasm.

3433 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

It’s interesting how people who make just a purchase or two complain about this :)

7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • United States
pixelbat says

It’s interesting how people who make just a purchase or two complain about this :)

Does buying 1 item vs 1000 items change the ethics of the issue? Does it make someones opinion any bigger or smaller? I’m sorry, what was your point again? Oh right, person who sells quite a bit through the site supports it… go figure.

296 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
sniperatic says

I just looked into this, I may be wrong as I haven’t got all day.

4d. Sellers may not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal as a payment method.

PayPal is an eBay company, and this restriction is quite clear.

Section 4.2 including 4d is for eBay sellers only.

It does not apply to Envato.

5760 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

This is a wrong way of looking the customer’s expectations. 0 Purchase and 100 purchases – doesn’t make any difference as long as the buyer expresses “own” experience/expectations. A 100 purchase doesn’t automatically make the buyer’s credibility of expectations to “high”. In fact the feedback of new buyers who just sits on the fence of the marketplace are equally valuable.

Without a shopping cart, we are one of the weaker marketplaces existing online. And for a billionth time, the additional $2 is never an issue of buyer’s budget problem; it is more of a problem with mild “difference” in price. Note that even the Deposit system doesn’t solves all the practical issues of purchasing.

614 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Typps says

I thought people were smart on this website. I guess not. Considering if you click on the right to make payment where it says (Includes $2 surcharge) THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO PAY, and that is via Paypal. It is a surcharge no matter how you want to spin or justify it, and according to Paypal’s ToS, 4.6, it states surcharges are not allowed. Perhaps Paypal just doesn’t know this company is doing this? Paypal has hundreds of thousands, no probably millions of companies who use their services to collect money. They don’t have a little wing of their company just always on the look out for people breaking the terms. However we the consumers (well not you, since you’ve never bought anything from Envato) can bring it to their attention. However I’d rather Envato explain this, and do the responsible thing and change the wordage so it is no longer a surcharge. I think how someone else mentioned earlier, it should be 17 for either payment, however if you pay with credits, then it is a discount, thus no longer being a surcharge. Either way, how it is now, and how it is worded, it is a surcharge. I’m sorry you can’t understand that.

Exactly the point I’m making. Paypal is the only payment operator benefiting from this arrangement. I understand the points your making as a buyer, and I agree the wording could use some help. What I find irritating is you knowing out right why you are being charged an extra $2. The knowledge base states this quite clearly.

It has nothing to do with Paypal being singled out as a payment operator but rather an added benefit for Paypal users who can now buy that same item without paying a $20 deposit. I’m not seeing anything wrong with this picture.

If you really don’t want to incur the $2 fee, the whole point of this aged thread, then say so. Do not hide behind Paypal’s TOS.

5760 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

If you really don’t want to incur the $2 fee, the whole point of this aged thread, then say so. Do not hide behind Paypal’s TOS.

Exactly.

Paypal’s terms about surcharge is speaking about hidden charges. Not about the “label” surcharge. Anyway, the difference in prices not supposed to be a permanent solution. It always leaves bitterness while purchasing – even if a buyer is experienced with deposit system, the stray deposits will always leave space for frustration.

32 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
orangecounty says

I just looked into this, I may be wrong as I haven’t got all day. 4d. Sellers may not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal as a payment method.

PayPal is an eBay company, and this restriction is quite clear.

Section 4.2 including 4d is for eBay sellers only.

It does not apply to Envato.

Erm, where do you get this idea from?

I’m guessing you are new to the credit card and payment processing industry. Payment processors will never want merchants to separate payment acceptance cost with the product cost. This is a PR thing and it’s against processors/card associations interest to have merchant separate processing cost to consumer. It makes them look “bad”. Let me know when you find a restaurant that includes “Payment Surcharges” in their receipt.

It has nothing to do with Paypal being singled out as a payment operator but rather an added benefit for Paypal users who can now buy that same item without paying a $20 deposit. I’m not seeing anything wrong with this picture.

Again, yet another seller trying to paint the beautiful Picasso picture that Envato is doing us a “favour” by charging us $2 “surcharge” and allowing us to buy without depositing $20.

Another note: It’s quite amazing how Evanto staffs choose to watch and hoping this thread goes away so they won’t have to deal with it.

by
by
by
by
by
by