86 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
singh336 says

Hey guys,

I’ve been doing table based designs for a while now. And I know how the tableless idea works. I think its a great idea. However I get lost when going from fireworks CS3 to dreamweaver. I mean, with table based designs, its obviously very very easy. But now with CSS based layout, what do I do etc.. I’ve been reading some tutorials and I can make a tableless website using a template etc.

But my problem is that, my design in fireworks etc.. I cannot take this and put it into a layout, there is spaces and etc and it seems like it would take a very long time to copy and paste images into divs etc ?

Is there a way to have fireworks export tableless style already? Or is there some good tutorials, possibly video tutorials of someone going from design to table less setup ?

I’ve read a few but they always skip over the part I really need to understand better.

I’m only asking here because I know this site is full of developers who do tableless design :)

Any help is appreciated !

364 posts Onuro
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemeKioken says

singh336, once you convert to tableless css, you will it’s actually way easier than producing table based code.

for fireworks, the new cs4 version converts the design into html as divisions and styles added to it. but IMHO , it is still spaghetti code with it’s zillion pieces of divs and ids, classes.

My best suggestion is you get your hands a little dirty and start building the html and css piece by piece, exporting the designed elements from fireworks to your html =)

1799 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
BroOf says

onuro is totaly right. If you write your code with you own hands you are able to do much more also you know what you’ve done and how to change things in your code for specific questions etc. So go and search for more CSS tutorials and write like hell :D!

Here are a few sites:

-Good-Tutorials -Pixel2Life

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Yes,

Never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever use automatic conversion. I think Winston Churchill said that.

Purchase CSS Master and Eric Meyer On CSS to get started. As the others said, once you work with it, you’ll cringe at the idea of going back to a table based layout. So many tr tags make me sick.

A few months ago, Collis wrote a fantastic article on converting a PSD to HTML /CSS. You can read it here.

Build a Sleek Portfolio Site From Scratch

P.S. 10 Lashings to the person who can tell me what movie I was referencing in my first sentence. :)

86 posts
singh336 says

HEy guys, thanks for the info,

If I learn tableless layout and get used to it , to a point where it’s actually easier than table based… well thats great !

I am not afraid of doing code by hand, thats fine I think its best to know exactly how it all works instead of using auto generated stuff.

But lets face it, fireworks exports your slices in tables perfectly and then you tweak them in dreamweaver obviously to a point where it all works great. So this could be the same for CS4 .

Is CS4 coming out soon or is it already out?

I’m going to go through the tutorial link you provided and then more on the sites you’ve linked me to.

I’ll report back here when I have done so to tell you what I think !

Many Thanks !

-Singh

86 posts
singh336 says

Oh haha ! I have gone through this portfolio tutorial before ! but for a design lesson, when it came to layout I was not interested rofl.

Thanks!

86 posts
singh336 says

The tutorial is VERY good !

I actually didnt see this before, I saw the one for design, so that explains it ! lol

But I have a question, looking at some sites, even themeforest, it seems like people are using tableless design, with table based layouts inside containers?

86 posts
singh336 says

Wow I post too much i’m sorry, but I want to keep this thread updated for anyone who is searching in the future.

Thanks to the help in the tutorial you have linked me, and as well as other tutorials and the tools within fireworks, I can now make fully tableless designs, and IMO this is much better of course.

I can see how this is easier, and more flexible, and I think this is great.

So for right now im still learning but I can see that its just as hard or easier to do than table based.

Much better, and I thank you for the replies.

If you have more suggestions please do post ! The forums could use the activity !

I will throw a link here when my test site is done so you can see my tableless work !

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

If you have any specific CSS questions, visit www.csscreator.com. They helped me a great deal when I was first getting started.

86 posts
singh336 says

Nice website !!!

I’m working on my site here for practice

My coders always did tabeless design for my clients I just never really got into it, I started out doing nothing and now I been getting much more involved etc so thats why im trying to learn everything, but so far so good.

by
by
by
by
by
by