32 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
The_Auditory_Group says

I’d like to say a big hello to all my fellow audio jungle authors out there! I recently joined this great community and I’m very happy to see that everyone is really kind and very helpful.

I want to try something. I call it “take a tip, leave a tip”. I’ll start it off with a personal production tip I’ve developed over the years in hopes that someone will read it and leave one of their own. Don’t brake the bank on all your production secrets just leave ONE . It can be a cool instrumentation, an eq tip, a mixing idea, a fancy way you use a specific plug-in or even something not to do/stay away from.

Hopefully we can build an interesting bank of tips to draw from for present and future authors.

Here goes,

If I’m looking for a grungy/indie lead guitar sound I don’t use a guitar at all. I triple track myself singing the melody I want with a soft syllable like “ooooo” in falsetto, run it through various amps simulators and distortion (the logic ones do the trick but I often experiment with guitar rig) tweak, tuck it in the mix a little and voila! an edgy “lead guitar”. I’m actually a guitar player and often prefer doing it this way because you get the idea or imprint of a guitar but with a singing quality. And you don’t have to be a great singer because your mangling it with distortion, delay, and eq just getting the notes in the ballpark is perfect. This isnt really meant for subtle stuff. This is for when you want to rock out!

Try it! Experiment!

All ideas are welcome, big or small.

All the best!

552 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
TortoiseTree says

If you’re recording vocals and you don’t have a pop filter (or you forgot yours at home) get an elastic band and attach a pencil facing the direction of the singer to the microphone (not pointing at the singer, pointing upwards). It may sound stupid and it may look like it has no effect but it actually does a decent job of dispersing the sound pulse, certainly a better job than not using any form of filter at all. Try it, you’ll be surprised!

The_Auditory_Group
The_Auditory_Group Recent Posts
Threads Started
32 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
The_Auditory_Group says

Beauty! That’s what I’m talkin about. I’m gonna try that!

240 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+4 more
BCrutchfield Reviewer says

I’ll try to think of more audio-related stuff to post in here soon, but this is what I wanted to contribute as I think it could help out other computer-bound composers just as well as an audio/EQ/mix tip could.

It is actually an app called f.lux – http://stereopsis.com/flux/

It tracks your local sunrise/sunset time and gradually fades your computer monitor(s) to a more warm/incandescent glow at night to help keep your eye strain to a minimum. I also feel like it has helped keep my sleep schedule normal too since before I started using it I’d often get into a ‘zone’ and find myself still awake at 4:30AM working when I really should have been asleep.

It might seem strange at first, but after using it for several months I don’t think I could go without it anymore. Try it out!

The_Auditory_Group
The_Auditory_Group Recent Posts
Threads Started
32 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
The_Auditory_Group says

Thats brilliant! Im going to check that one out now good to hear from you BCrutchfield!

71 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
Diesel_J says
268 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Argentina
MeGustaMusic says

heeey great post!
When mixing drums i like to divide it in 5 groups. This way I have more control and earn a lot of time
KICK (kick in and out) with compressor, gate and eq
SNARE ( up and down) with compressor, gate and eq
OH (overhead and hh) with exciter and eq
TOMs (all the toms, ) with compressor and distortion AMB ( ambient and MS)
FULL DRUMS (all the channels come here) with compressor and eq!

This is my magic, with internet love, from LanĂºs, Argentina!

Willow_Branch_Music
Willow_Branch_Music Recent Posts
Threads Started
49 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Willow_Branch_Music says

Great idea for a thread. Here is my tip:

Prolonged exposure to SPL above 85-90 db’s can cause permanent hearing loss! Take a moment to research you limits of exposure, which are based primarily on the time spent exposed. As a reminder of your exposure, keep one of these things on next to you:

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Digital-Sound-Level-Meter/dp/B005JX2EZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345225137&sr=8-1&keywords=Sound+level+meter

And remember that the average listener/buyer of your tracks is listening way quieter than we might, so mix with that in mind.

1421 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Norway
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Mihai_Sorohan says

“Budget Brass”
So, being a trumpet player I can record real trumpet, but sometimes I need more than a trumpet.
When I need a whole brass section in a jazz/funk/pop/rock track, I record one trumpet and I put on send a pitch-shifter (SimpShi or TBT Octaver 12b would do a good job on it), then double the octaves with a saxophone section. I use DVS Saxophone as alto saxophone and DSK SaxophoneZ as tenor (put to tenor, decrease the release, cut all reverb and delay).
Pan those a bit around and here you have a “budget brass section”.

Basspartout-Music
Basspartout-Music Recent Posts
Threads Started
42 posts
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
Basspartout-Music says

“Pad Space”
If you’re using pad sounds in your track, try a “Stereo Widener” tool on it like the Binaural Pan in Studio One for example, set to maximum level 200% and make the sound barely audible. Used in the right spot it will almost magically open up and widen your sound without overloading it.

by
by
by
by
by
by