• Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+2 more
mikemcalister says

@jonathan Ah, I see what you’re saying. When I initially read the post my wires were crossed and I thought I read it was for Nettuts.

I’m all for sharing my thoughts and experiences on the marketplaces, but I don’t necessarily like the idea of someone having to pay to hear them.

Either way, I’m not afraid of some fresh competition. Bring it on newbies!

1 post
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Costa Rica
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
OniLinkCR says

I have signed up, but never done a Theme myself.

I of course, would love to, but am a tad afraid as to “where to start”.

Regarding the question, why give knowledge for free, I have always thought that if you ought to be great at something you charge a bucket load to clients who want you to solve their problems and give this knowledge to your peers so that the industry you work on, as a whole, can get better.

Hope you guys can make a tutorial on this. WOULD LOVE TO do this.

326 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Portugal
vtimbuc says

Hey guys,

I don’t see what is the problem to share your knowledge. Nobody was born taught, sow we all need to learn from somebody. As for me I would love to learn wordpress theming from one of the best authors here.

Cheers

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

I think this thread title is the culprit, otherwise there would be no room for hesitation and complaints. Just remove the word stock from the title and it will sound good.

Btw, as of now we need “Best practices for stock” kind of articles somewhere, not necessarily step by step help.

731 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
mordauk says

I don’t think there is anything wrong with paying for shared knowledge. I run a paid membership section on my personal tutorial site, but not really for trying to make money, but rather as a way to help me afford the time it takes to produce good tutorials.

Sure it’s awesome when you can give great education away for free, but at some point, everything costs, even open source.

I also really don’t think the main idea behind Jeffrey’s question (Jeff, correct me if I’m wrong) is teaching others the “secret tricks” to making money with WordPress themes, but rather the process of making WP themes.

There are TONS of parts to a good WP theme, and not just the special, author-requested features, such as in-theme SEO options. In order to build a truly GOOD theme, you have to know how to properly load scripts, set up settings pages, utilize the WP template hierarchy correctly, write extensible code (especially for child themes), use core WP functions instead of unnecessary custom functions, and so much more.

It would be really easy to fill up a complete tutorial series (and still need more) with just lessons about how to build a GOOD theme without a SINGLE bit of custom functionality.

272 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
pebas says

^ +1

Would be really great if someone cover all what @mordauk mentioned. Basic tutorials about creating some simple WP theme could be good start point but that is not enough. I need something like ‘all in one tutorial’. Otherwise there is so many different techniques to achieve same goal and that keep me away from so many different tutorials which I must browse unsecure which one is actually right one…

For example I would like to see:

1. Use some complex HTML /CSS ( responsive, multi level nav, many jquery plugins, color options, few JQ sliders…etc.)
2. Transfer step by step all to WP.
3. Widgetize different areas, footer, body…allow users to choose their place in body, footer…
4. Make options panel for mentioned in 1. for user to choose
5. Create shortcodes which can be used
6. Create custom menu…
7. Upload on server and share one database with many WP themes (something like make good demo website for all your WP themes)
8. And more maybe which I forgot to mention…

For all concerns about competition I think that marketplace by itself is the best judge, to trow bad and push good, talented and dedicated members. No one can’t become competition because of one good WP tutorial.

Anyway if I can’t find it on Tuts+ for example I will find it elsewhere, now or later.

336 posts
  • Netherlands
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
RikdeVos says

In addition to all the code involved with a WP theme, I’d also love to learn more about web design. Things like web typography, and how to design complete website’s from scratch. Sure, webdesigntuts+ has some good articles/tutorials, but it doesn’t teach you how to design a website yourself or what makes a design look good. I think this would be a great addition to the tuts+ sites and would definitely pay for something like this.

8194 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

Why share experiences? Because it isn’t always about making money. We make a living off of an open source project, it’s only fitting to give back every once in a while.

spot on +1

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Why share experiences? Because it isn’t always about making money. We make a living off of an open source project, it’s only fitting to give back every once in a while.
spot on +1

That theory fits only as long as the tutorials also free. Also the purpose of tutorials are about making stock, which in-turn deals with making profit out of learning.

Not saying, this is right or wrong but “making stock” kind of tutorial doesn’t necessarily needs to be considered as non-profit or community help. However if it is targeted to guide best practices and standards, then it will.

Btw, don’t we have enough noob crowd on TF? :D I think the plan was to utilize the noob crowd’s availability to cater profit on tutsplus premium; that’s a better marketing strategy though.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

So divulge the few tricks and secrets to making a successful product to even more competitors who will just rip designs and whip together shoddy code? As if there isn’t enough mediocrity in the marketplaces as it is. Everyone here learned it the hard way through scraping together books, tutorials, screencasts, etc to get the right knowledge, so can you.

You can’t walk into a restaurant and ask the chefs how to prepare the meals so you can start your own rival restaurant, so how is this any different?

by
by
by
by
by
by