• Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
+1 more
RimmonTrieu says

What bothers me is that gurus like mr.doob aren’t doing anything new with flash and started to play with html5 and canvas. When he was goofing around with PV3D I even didn’t know how to code in AS3 .

gurus are developers who may interest in many technology, webgl is among them. There is nothing wrong to make experiment with html5 / webgl

By the way mr doob doesn’t represent a whole flash community. His experiments are solely his own choice.

556 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
ThemeScience says

Who needs TechCrunch?

1660 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
flashedge says

By the way mr doob doesn’t represent a whole flash community. His experiments are solely his own choice.

He’s not the only one who abandoned flash. I followed for quite some time everydayflash.com and the author moved to Unity 3D.

I might do the same as soon Unity will be able to deploy swfs.

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
+1 more
RimmonTrieu says

I might do the same as soon Unity will be able to deploy swfs.

I’ll remember what you are saying, too bad no more flash file from flashedge ;)

I found it funny that just because someone was good at Flash decided to experiment with other technology means Flash should be abandoned or dead.

Here are some background info before you decide to move away:

1) mr doob didn’t create pv3d, he made some cool experiments with it but that’s it. The core pv3d developers still make good living with Flash and as far as I know they don’t intend to switch anytime soon: Ralph Hauwert, John Lindquist, Carlos Ulloa, Tim Knip, John Grden…

pv3d is pretty much dead at the moment, they have their own project and interest and experiment with numerous technologies: iOS, Android, Unity, webgl

2) Bartek /everyday3d.com turned his interest in Unity years ago since when Flash hasn’t provide the power horse of hardware rendering, 3 years ago Unity was really hot technology. That doesn’t mean he abandoned Flash, people still see him in many big Flash event and conference.

3) Grant Skinner recently publish a tweening javascript library to support animation in html5, he admits himself an interactive developer and has been playing with Flash for a decade, does that make him a Flash abandoner ?

Anyway this is way off topic and I’m not trying to convince you to stay or something, if you tend to go with Unity exporter you should be at least aware that it makes use of molehill API in the end with some cross compiler implementation. That is not as optimized as coding molehill right away in Flash.

by
by
by
by
by
by