38 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Bulgaria
+5 more
Analogo says

Hey guys,

I just published my first image gallery yesterday. It’s called “The Photographer’s Romance” and you can view it here:

http://activeden.net/item/the-photographers-romance-photo-gallery/84155

What do you think of the general idea, realisation, graphics, music, composition & feeling? Do you, for example think it is rather close targeted?

Thanks in advance for your feedback, Martin

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Potku says

Very neat idea! I like the analog feel of the darkroom in this day of digital imaging. The scrolling of the photos in the solution are precise, and that’s nice to have. But you asked for constructive criticism, so here I go:

The Obvious Stuff:
The music doesn’t loop. I don’t know how long I was on the page before it stopped playing, but it was odd (not jarring, just odd) to go from having a moody music background to nothing at all. This one’s an easy fix. :)

The Contact, About and Mute are not obvious buttons. The things my eyes are drawn to are the moving pictures (it’s great that they move and draw attention to themselves!), the light bulb, and white cup/funnel on the shelves. I only found the bottles/buttons after letting my eyes roam around the picture. While they shouldn’t be intrusive, I’d make them pop a little more. After all, presumably the whole reason a photographer would have his/her work online is to be contacted for more work and it should be easy for the user to do that.

The Nit-Picky Stuff:
The pictures in the solution are jittery. What probably needs to happen is you need to have smoothing turned on those images. That should fix that right up. It probably wouldn’t hurt to turn smoothing on to the hanging pictures either.

I was looking for a way to return the pictures to the development solution. I know this may not make much sense from a picture-development standpoint, but as an organizational tool, it may help the user just pin up the photos in which he/she is interested, and take back down the others. I’m not sure if it is ultimately appropriate to make this happen, but I’m just telling you what I experienced.

As for whether or not this file is targeted to a too-narrow audience, I think there are plenty of photographers out there, professional and amateur, who would like to see their work displayed in a fun, unique way.

Great file, and good luck! :)

38 posts
  • Located in Bulgaria
+5 more
Analogo says

Potku, thanks very much for your thorough feedback. I will work on improving some of the things you mentioned. One thing is I would like to ask you what did you mean by “turn on smoothing” on the images?

Regards, M.

4 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Potku says

Fortunately, smoothing is very easy to do. If your content is in the Flash library, you can look at the properties of any given Bitmap (Jpg, Png, etc.) and check the “allow smoothing” checkbox. If your images are loaded dynamically, you just assign it to a Bitmap object and then set the “smoothing” parameter to “true” for that Bitmap Object. It may sound complex, but it’s not! Check out this article on the subject for code and a simple explanation.

For another example of when this is useful, just take a look at this project for which I did the Flash, where I had a water bottle move less than a pixel at a time. When smoothing was turned off, the bottle jittered and shook like the photos in your gallery. With smoothing on, it glides slowly without jumpy pixels.

Smoothing allows you to resize and rotate images smoothly as well. Why not always turn smoothing on then?

Because it makes images slightly fuzzly. This is normally more than fine when the image is deformed or moving, but is generally undesirable for still, full-size images (like your full-screen photos).

I hope this helps! :)

-Potku

38 posts
  • Located in Bulgaria
+5 more
Analogo says

Thanks very much again Potku. I will try this smoothing. I knew of its existence but it didn’t occur to me it would help in this case. What I don’t find to my liking is I will have to BitmapData.draw each image and assign it to bitmap… anyway. Will check out how it goes.

5348 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CodingJack says
Thanks very much again Potku. I will try this smoothing. I knew of its existence but it didn’t occur to me it would help in this case. What I don’t find to my liking is I will have to BitmapData.draw each image and assign it to bitmap… anyway. Will check out how it goes.

Hi mWidgets,

I like your gallery too :)

Try BitmapData.clone() instead of draw. I think you’ll find it’s faster :)

by
by
by
by
by
by