654 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
Gareth_Gillman says

I can’t see how this can be a major bad thing

1) Authors get slightly less per item but the number of items sold should increase to counteract this 2) It should improve the visibility of the category over a longer period

I do agree that Envato should have warned the authors in the category a few days before so they knew it was happening and to maybe help promote it

1626 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

1) Authors get slightly less per item but the number of items sold should increase to counteract this 2) It should improve the visibility of the category over a longer period

I do agree that Envato should have warned the authors in the category a few days before so they knew it was happening and to maybe help promote it

Hi Gareth,
The thing is, they are started to loose the trust of their authors.

We all see the intervals between those “promotions” , “bundles” , “testing the waters”s (all are the same alarming bells actually) etc. are shorter and shorter. So, what’s next?

Is it really the only way to promote a category?
No, it is the “cheapest”.

115 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Indonesia
+2 more
saputrad says

This looks like unwell-prepared thing.
edit:
The promo banner link on the homepage is broken.

Page Not Found

But of course I love the goal of this promotion by the way.
The goal for this promotion is to generate more revenue from email templates during the promotion AND after the promotion.
1792 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Please, please, do not even think of making any discounts for WP and HTML templates.

In my opinion this marketplace should have bigger prices and focus on getting visitors by showing them the quality of the items here, not by cheapening it and makin it look like a discounts marketplace. But it doesn’t matter, because nobody actually cares about what me or any other authors has to say about it.

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
pollyplummer says

@pollyplummer – probably not WP themes as they would require ongoing support/updates

Can I take this “probably not” as a certain no? Or does ThemeForest reserve the right to perform similar sweeping discounts on WordPress themes sometime in the future?

84 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+2 more
yomrholmes Envato team says

Good idea, I’ll add that as an action item if we do another one.

84 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+2 more
yomrholmes Envato team says

@pollyplummer – probably not WP themes as they would require ongoing support/updates
Can I take this “probably not” as a certain no? Or does ThemeForest reserve the right to perform similar sweeping discounts on WordPress themes sometime in the future?

I can’t guarantee it 100%, but I’d say its very very unlikely. I generally want to use promos to promote smaller categories and where support is way less of an issue.

1626 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

if you’re “PROMOTING” email templates category with the structure of %30 discount, then why are you disabling that top frame?
Now we have less promotion for %30 discounted items.

6025 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Level Up! :|

Thanks for the explanations / clarifications for these kind of announcements; makes sense.

6025 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

if you’re “PROMOTING” email templates category with the structure of %30 discount, then why are you disabling that top frame?
Now we have less promotion for %30 discounted items.

The top frame always deserves to vanish once closed by buyer. I see no problem with that; the buyer gets notified once – that’s enough.

I would like to see the exact same rule applied for bundles too. Once a buyer closes the top frame on one marketplace, it shouldn’t open while going through other marketplaces. That would be fair.

by
by
by
by
by
by