• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
CleanScript says

I had a debate with a friend about web design quality and how it should be tested. The debate was like this: One was saying that a very high-end monitor like the apple cinema display or the new macbook pro retina display is enough to be the only screen you need to design on and check on for colors and everything to build the theme to the hightest standards (if you know how). Also that design that you build perfectly on the best high-end screen, perfectly calibrated, will show best on all screens, even old ones or even broken ones.

The other one was saying that the design needs to be tested on many different low end monitors and 1 high-end MBP retina-display screen so that you see the difference as a designer, and tweak your design so that it will look better on the low end screens because there may be a way to make the design look better on the low end screen (more compatible with that screen) and at the same time to look good at the retina display.

What do you think? How are you testing and how do you think it should be tested properly? Who is right?

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

I think you need a calibrated monitor only if you’re doing a graphic work to be printed on paper… in that case only you need to be sure that what you see on the monitor will be the same on the paper…

For digital graphic you can make all the tests you want on every monitor you may think of, but in the end would be just a waste of time because it’s enough that a person has a different brightness/contrast setting on the same monitor to have a different looking color.

So, just don’t care and don’t waste time :)

5857 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Add few more to the list: iPhone normal/Retina, iPad normal/Retina and few more Android revices…

Web design requires weird kind of perfection!

63 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
m1chelangel0 says

I have multiple monitors, and it does certainly make a difference when it comes to viewing options and outcomes. My main machine is a 27” Mac, my second system is a PC with a 27” LG M2780D display and a 17” Sony laptop. Being able to see the colour variations on various monitors makes a difference when creating or choosing colour schemes.

by
by
by
by
by
by