Dzinc got a very good point here.

951 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
Giallo says

Frankly It took me a while to see how it was working this, and now that I get it better I don’t want it to be developed the way it is now.

I FULLY AGREE with Dzinc.

Rudely I will say:

It will just steal work to authors, to bring even more money in the Envato’s pocket, as if they’re small already…and I’d like to know who work for that amount of money.

I think the idea is good, but you should give priority to authors, the author himself should be the first one to be hired to make the customization. So they can at least edit their own work, then if he/she doesn’t accept move to another “designer” (work for 30$ is not considered a designer yet IMHO )

A bit of respect for our effort could be nice, since we contributed to the market. We do this job for a living but also for PASSION as you started it Collis, I know money are money but you can make them in some other way, advertising that Graphiclancer at least outside of GR.

270 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in Canada
+6 more
iZZYMedia says

Totaly agree with Giallo and Dzinc

2126 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Graphic-Studio says

Hi Collis, et al . . . .

Dzinc & Giallo have good points . . . unless you’re tying the Customization Process to provide the work to the original file creator (?).

That, should make sense to Authors.

Of course, as Authors should like to be able to raise the pricing of customizations of our own products, accordingly – like Second Correction Charges, Third Revises . . . and on and on.

Sure, an Author can make changes easily — but clients can be strict and require more than offered.

If the thinking that this will be a Secondary Marketplace – one which profits from merely who will do the work . . . ( like a 99 cent store ) — I think Authors would be bothered by that.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind making an extra $2-$4 for running one of my actions, but to avail that work for a product an Author Supplied to another Freelancer – is putting the originator out in the cold.

No hard feelings here. Just 2 cents of rambling.

—Cheers!

6025 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

In respect to the first question: marketplace resources, it’s actually a separate team working on this project, the marketplaces have been steadily getting more and more resourced and are still hiring aggressively. This team is a very small team exploring some R&D ideas.

Thanks for the clarification. We authors used to worry about any new venture after PhotoDune. The reason is after PhotoDune, almost every post from staff (including Vahid’s messages) pointed about the fact that the process of resource arrangements delaying possible improvements on marketplaces. (on important areas: Purchase – Licensing, Rating, communication and anything interface related)

Still the worrying part is, without your or other important staff’s contribution (on plans & decisions), none of the improvements can be solid or balanced. Hope the new ventures wont distract this. Although the hope became 0% after seeing this announcement – since there can be another full set of graphic, code, video, music etc lancing sites on the row.

Please put the achievements on 2nd priority and make the service as 1st priority. Just my 2 cents.

1579 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Hey guys,

Totally understand the concerns, and because its not really time to talk about our long term plans, all I can say that might help is its actually a very small test, and not intended to be here very long (though might see other types of tests). So far we’ve processed about 3 or 4 jobs and a dozen or so other types of requests.

VF: I completely understand, PhotoDune really sucked up a huge amount of resources, but was different in the sense that it was an actual marketplace product with that team on there. Still I take your point!

Anyhow I’ll be back shortly to let you know when the test has been pulled back down, and if/when we put something else.

And of course hopefully before too long I can talk about the long term plan :-)

223 posts We're here to serve
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
+5 more
isoarts says

Hey guys,

Totally understand the concerns, and because its not really time to talk about our long term plans, all I can say that might help is its actually a very small test, and not intended to be here very long (though might see other types of tests). So far we’ve processed about 3 or 4 jobs and a dozen or so other types of requests.

VF: I completely understand, PhotoDune really sucked up a huge amount of resources, but was different in the sense that it was an actual marketplace product with that team on there. Still I take your point!

Anyhow I’ll be back shortly to let you know when the test has been pulled back down, and if/when we put something else.

And of course hopefully before too long I can talk about the long term plan :-)

This answer doesn’t convince me in any way, the contrary is the case. Instead to go to new ventures you should rather work on optimising the market place. Expand your budget on advertising and marketing for the marketplace, support the people that made you so successful. Instead we have a decrease in pricing in some areas (and quality). This new service would make it even worse.

Don’t take it the wrong way, you give many people freedom that wouldn’t be possible without you, and (at least I can speak for my self) I am very great full for that. But you beginning loosing track of your authors and the costumers that looking out for quality as well.

59 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Argentina
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+4 more
domibit says

This will be great! :)

844 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+3 more
chrisatlemon says

well, I’ve said it before in another thread: only artists are dumb enough to believe that a 50% cut on their work is fair going. In my industry the people who do the work get 99% and the people who provide the platform get 1%. And I say that being the one who provides the platform!!

Now Because Envato skim an outrageous 50% of the authors work they’ve got the financial prowess to undercut any after sales pricing and take that market away from the authors, too.

Slap … In the face!

And since all of Collis’ answers a reallytrying hard to avoid the concerns everybody raised here we can only assume that this is exactly what is being planned.

Sell my work under price (t least from what I’ getting from it) m and then offer to retouch my work under any reasonable hourly rate I could possibly offer. Wow!

What’s more, this is for GR Where it’s pretty hard to make any reasonable sort of money on your items in any case.

Not nice.

Chris

by
by
by
by
by
by