375 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
pixelgrade says

I vote for removing the likes of Avada from the Popular rankings and switching to a Trending ranking. Period. Just kidding… Like that will ever happen :)

445 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
readactor says

if buyers want to see diversity in design, then start buying the more creative designs out there and stop buying the same old themes again and again.

well said. actually are more buyers who buy / use / love same kind of design then themes released on same story.

12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
luxerman says

I agree… All themes are looking the same. Designers/developers should be creating themes for specific niches; such as “Here is the perfect theme for….” – Plumbers, dentists (not doctors), roofers, contractors, salons, etc…” Yes, there are currently a few out there but how many themes do we need for salons and lawyers? Developers need to start trying something that doesn’t exist. Stop jumping on the bandwagon.

Developers are also losing touch as to what a website is supposed to do – either generate leads or sales. I keep seeing all these “corporate” websites that do neither! WHERE ARE THE LEAD FORMS? A website visitor should never have to actually click on the contact page to enter information. There should always be a lead form above the fold on the homepage, CTR button, or buy this product type link.

Lastly, the first developer to create a theme, exclusively, for plumbers (as example) would make a lot of money…

415 posts Code Is Poetry
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+8 more
gljivec says

We had a few really unique themes and they are now all moved to another market. Why? Because we get more sale for unique theme in other markets, where people can actually find this theme. I can say Wordpress has better search engine compared to this market!

114 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Romania
+1 more
cippo says

I’ve read some very good answers but I’ll still share my opinion.

Just my poor 2 cents:

I think this kind of complaint has been addressed before but there’s not much to do about it because unique themes won’t get too many sales and theme creators are giving buyers what they ask for.

If you want something different, you go to an agency or hire some freelancers to do the job and that is MORE expensive than the $35-$60 you pay for a theme here. Everyone would love to buy something that could be sold afterwards 100x times more expensive without any (or very little effort).

I know it’s hard to buy a theme when there are lots of similarities but in the end I’m sure you can find the one you like.

434 posts
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Jaynesh says

I agree… All themes are looking the same. Designers/developers should be creating themes for specific niches; such as “Here is the perfect theme for….” – Plumbers, dentists (not doctors), roofers, contractors, salons, etc…” Yes, there are currently a few out there but how many themes do we need for salons and lawyers? Developers need to start trying something that doesn’t exist. Stop jumping on the bandwagon.

Multi-purpose themes get a lot of hate but there is a reason why they are so popular. Some niches don’t need themes built exclusively for them because the content determines the style of the website not the theme. Content is part of the design process. We can’t put everything on a plate for you.

No developer is going to create a theme for a specific niche which only a few people in the world want. At the end of the day we are here to make money just like you.

Lastly, the first developer to create a theme, exclusively, for plumbers (as example) would make a lot of money…

What would a theme made exclusively for plumbers even look like? Go to google, search for plumbers and look at their website and then ask yourself if the design can be used for a different niche if the content was changed.

4649 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

All authors are here to make money, some of us make our entire incomes here, if buyers want to see diversity in design, then start buying the more creative designs out there and stop buying the same old themes again and again.

I don’t think buyers are to blame at all – the way the marketplace is engineered it’s easier with a few clicks to find the top popular files, than other files.

For example if buyers are on the new item home page section, and they toggle each category – each link at the bottom goes to the main popular file page. This link is misleading because if they want to find popular files of that category of new files, they have to go to the drop down in the main menu.

If Envato simply made all those “Popular Items” links on each category of new files go to the popular files of each category, we should see a much better dispersement of sales.

But instead buyers are always guided to the main Popular page, and of course to the top selling items of all time on the marketplace. It’s no surprise then, that these files get over 1000 sales a week.

On ThemeForest there are 14 links to the main popular page from the home page, and only 1 link per category to go to a the popular page of each category. So Envato is not making it easier for buyers to find files other than the all time best sellers.

144 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
goofydadog says
375 posts
+6 more
pixelgrade says

I think we should take into account in this discussion a fundamental question: where does Envato stand between the authors and the customers? I’ve personally come to believe that it’s very much on the customers side, since they are not actively involved in considering it’s authors as partners. I have come to this belief from the speed (mostly the lack of it) with which they are implementing things asked for so long by authors, the lack of a more strict review process (they are not after making sure that they attract the best designers, but after having many new themes to offer to a fast growing customer base) and the fact that they don’t take steps to protect the authors (that are often vulnerable due to their small size and financial power) against DMCA abuse, like for instance Automattic from WordPress.com are trying to do (http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/striking-back-against-censorship/).

I am saying all this just to put things into a broader perspective.

This does not mean that I don’t enjoy being on ThemeForest, but as we grow larger (both in revenue and responsibility to our team) I can’t help being fearful of the jelly foundation upon which we are trying to build a business.

1481 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
Anps says

An excellent point pixelgrade, just let me add I read a day back on forums here that an author tried to remove a site which had many themes from different authors there and after a struggle he succeded with the hosting provider to remove the site in question, isn’t this suppose to be envato’s job if he did it why envato with all there power could not? And as i know he did report it to envato, some time a go I also did and nothing was done.

Again a excellent question…

+1

Cheers

by
by
by
by
by
by