399 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
aRtlessX says

and you’d expect other disasters to have already been carefully considered (and to be completely irrelevant to the current situation in Japan).

Oh, don’t bet your money on that. Last night they were interviewing a national scientist on Tv here, and check out the anecdote he mentioned while discussing what is now happening in Japan etc.: During the 60’s-70’s he lived in Japan, had his studies there. In later years he visited the country again as an established scientist, collaborating with other known Japanese scientists in his field. One of them took him out for dinner in a high building (with a floor which moves around if I remember correctly, but don’t quote me on this detail). Anyway, so they’re there and he asks his fellow colleague: “when did this all happen, when I was here, it was forbitten to built anything higher than 7 floors and we scientists were explaining everyone how it is unsafe etc. How/when this changed, in terms of safety, earthquakes etc. What happens if a big one happens..”. And the guy answers him that it all changed when the country needed growth, investments needed to happen and so many rules got aside and the rule about higher buildings unsafety in terms of earthquakes got aside. “And if THE big one happens?” Answer? “most possibly we go down, it was a risk and a choicethe country had to take, to gain investments, development etc.

So Joost, think again. They might be taking some basic precautions, but when it comes to their green god, people’s lives is the last thing they’re thinking. And that goes for any country/goverment/people on power playing god.

3718 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

@aRtlessX You could very well be right – I have little inside on research the governments do regarding the building of nuclear powerplants and the emergency safety. I was just commenting on the fact that the governments here pretend like they should be reacting to the earthquake in Japan (like Merkel shutting down some of the older power plants in Germany). Their earthquake is completely irrelevant to the dangers here, and this shouldn’t be a reason to finally start looking into them. That’s what I found ridiculous.

577 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
Bebel says

Luckily the situation around the power plant is getting better every day. All we can do is hope and donate money to the people in the tohoku region.

Let us also hope it will never happen again and people seriously not only start to think about alternative ernergy sectors, but will finally start to act.

1141 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
KarmaThemes says

Luckily the situation around the power plant is getting better every day. All we can do is hope and donate money to the people in the tohoku region. Let us also hope it will never happen again and people seriously not only start to think about alternative ernergy sectors, but will finally start to act.

Good to hear that you’re okay Bebel! Take care!

by
by
by
by
by
by