• Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+2 more
PhilLarson says

Just finished one of my new favorite songs! That’s the good news. That bad news? Really indecisive on what it should be called. Have you been there? I’m sure you have.

So… the dilema is that I don’t know if I should go with the much simpler title, that would be more search engine friendly as opposed to a one-word title that is so cool and captures the song well, but no one’s going to use it as a search term, not to mention that it’s a lesser known word for all the non-english-speaking friends on the AJ marketplace! ;)

The title options: “Simple Beauty” or “Iridescence”

Thoughts? Suggestions? Also, feel free to tell me if I’m thinking into it too much and if I’m being stupid by being so indecisive! ;)

OR, This could be a good thread to expound on what you’ve experienced has helped buyers find your own song titles. For instance, “Clapping Ukulele” has done well… but so has “Clouds.” Of course we all know it ultimately comes down to production and composition quality. But I do believe there is an art to the song title and that the right title does help the sale of the song.

Interested to hear your input. Thanks!
Phil

Willow_Branch_Music
Willow_Branch_Music Recent Posts
Threads Started
49 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Willow_Branch_Music says
888 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
jhunger says

Actually the magnetic poetry is a pretty good idea!

I struggle with naming continually. I sidestepped the issue with my first 40 tracks :). Sometimes I’m at a total loss, and normally it’s late at night and I’m tired of hearing the song so I have no idea what to name it.

Keywords probably can help search results, but I also think that more creative names are fine as well as long as they describe the feel of the song accurately. In that respect, Clouds is a perfect name for AudioQuattro’s track (and it’s a damn fine track!). But Phil, I think you have a point when you mentioned that “Iridescence” may be a little too unusual especially for a non-native English speaker. Also, although it’s common enough that most people know what it means, I bet if you asked any given 10 native English speakers to spell it you’d get 2-3 correct answers (full disclosure – first time I typed it just now I ended it with “se” instead of “ce”). So I think in this case “Simple Beauty” might be the better option.

563 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Sophonic says

Simple Beauty all the way!

627 posts Allegro120 Composer
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
Allegro120 says

The whole problem is the positioning of the track. I can think of beautiful 1000 title but …

Stuck_in_the_Basement
Stuck_in_the_Basement Recent Posts
Threads Started
456 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Reviewer
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
Stuck_in_the_Basement Reviewer says

Personally, I grab the first title that comes to mind as I am making the song and submit it to my wife with a brief explanation…
Her look says it all, I know instantly if the title will work or not! 8-)
This is my wife’s modest contribution to my work… this and the occasional “it’s fine” when I have her listening to the tunes for approval.
Anyways, not sure the title has that big an impact on the search engine. I would just go with whatever you feel fits your song best, in this case, “Iridescence” (and you’re right, non-native speakers have no clue what it means, at least I don’t). :)

446 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
D_Cooper says

While search engine shows titles at the beginning of results, this question will be relevant. I hope this issue will be resolved soon.

But anyway I prefer beautiful not search-friendly titles,

201 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
reubenchng says

I think you gotta put something that is simple to understand. Bombastic words sometimes just simple turns people away.

297 posts
  • Italy
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Cinquequarti says

I think you gotta put something that is simple to understand. Bombastic words sometimes just simple turns people away.

I agree, mate.

767 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
PhilLarson says

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. They were helpful. Also, as I was signing in this morning from my phone, I was thinking that sometimes the Captcha codes have some good suggestions! :D

@Stuck_in_the_Basement, last night after my wife got home from work, I explained the dilema. She listened to it, then goes, “Yes, Simple Beauty. Iridesence is too hard-sounding of a word for it.” After working and working the song and your thoughts are clouded by all its many parts and ideas, including what to name it, wives are the best! :) that was funny to read your comment.

And Joel, you’re right. I had to look it up to spell it right too, when “Clouds” I can proudly spell right off the top of my head (i’m pretty talented… ;) )

I think I have my answer, friends! Thanks!

by
by
by
by
by
by