2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Being soft rejected for rules you are unaware of can be really annoying, especially when new ones seem to be added on a regular basis without being announced to authors.

So here’s the idea: we compile a list of soft rejections which includes date, reason and solution (technical rejections only so nothing related to design). I think such list could be very helpful to all authors if there’s the will to keep it updated so i’ll start

WordPress – April 23, 2013 – JavaScript files need to be placed at the bottom, barring critical exclusion. [Modernizr, for instance] You can do this with the $in_footer argument of wp_enqueue_script.

Solution: enqueue your scripts in footer

3072 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

The rule with footer scripts is probably reviewer dependent. Because I see themes just approved with scripts in header. I don’t like scripts in footer, looks messy!

205 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+1 more
Morad says

I also got like this issue:

“JavaScript loaded directly into HTML documents (template files) should be CDATA encoded to prevent errors in older browsers.”

2002 posts
+9 more
bitfade says

The rule with footer scripts is probably reviewer dependent. Because I see themes just approved with scripts in header. I don’t like scripts in footer, looks messy!
It could be item reviewer didn’t check scripts location for those items, however, our last theme was soft rejected for this reason so i personally won’t take the risk anymore.
115 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Aether-Themes says

What a great idea! I had an item soft rejected on the same rule, wasn’t aware of it before and it stalled the release by a couple of days.

489 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
rayoflightt says

1. JavaScript files need to be placed at the bottom, barring critical exclusion. [Modernizr, for instance]

2. JavaScript loaded directly into HTML documents (template files) should be CDATA encoded to prevent errors in older browsers.

3. The javascript should be JSHint compliant. ( I hope this one shouldn’t be strictly followed for all common j. scripts that you use. )

4. Make sure the CSS file is well documented with proper table of content

1772 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Javascript being loaded at the bottom is critical for page speed, if you load them in the header, any visitor must load the whole js files in order to see the file, which is bad, you need to load the content and CSS and present the layout ASAP instead of focusing on JS.

2002 posts
+9 more
bitfade says

Javascript being loaded at the bottom is critical for page speed.
not really, there are other optimizations which are far more important and yet not enforced by envato rules (to provide single minified js/css just to mention one). One could argue that, at least for wp themes, the above functionalities could be easily obtained by using plugins like total cache but, in this case, none of them should be considered in the review process.
1772 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

No, minified css and javascript means the theme is not easily customized and that is quite bad. The user must have access to the css and js files to easily modify whatever he needs.

2002 posts
+9 more
bitfade says

No, minified css and javascript means the theme is not easily customized and that is quite bad. The user must have access to the css and js files to easily modify whatever he needs.
That’s obviously not what i’m talking about, however, we’re offtopic since the point of this thread is to share rejection rules rather than argue whether they should be in place or not.
by
by
by
by
by
by