• Gold Mo Grower
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says

First of i will start with i love the 3d ocean market place as 3d is my fav artistic method!

I have done alot of work mainly in the games industry and i have often had to buy model from sites to meet deadlines or use as a starting point so i know what i am looking for and alot of the models on 3d ocean would not meet these requirements

But the problem the site is quality, i know you want as many models up as possible but i feel there are alot of poor quality models that have been aloud on the site and marked with a smaller price instead of being told to improve the file

I think this is bad for the market place as when i saw some of the models it made me angry as it reduces the chances of people using and buying things from the market place which i sell on so it affects me!

This does not really happen on graphicriver a the reviewers are aware of the level of quality needed, where as alot of the time with 3D people are just impressed because it 3D but the should be better guid line for the reviews of 3D

I would even voletere to be a reviewer jsut to help get rid of this sort of problem!

1276 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+12 more
ChristineWilde Reviewer says

So what would you like to see and I’ll start spending even more time on my models to create something you would like to buy. At the end of the day it would help both of us to become more successful on 3D Ocean.

2097 posts
  • Gold Mo Grower
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says
So what would you like to see and I’ll start spending even more time on my models to create something you would like to buy. At the end of the day it would help both of us to become more successful on 3D Ocean.

look at your models you have some very nice models, and i can see alot of them you have put a great deal of time and effort, you have provided files that are relevent and have therefore had sales.

if you want feedback or help to improve them i can do that no problem, but i dont really want to do it out in the open, i will say the sugestion i have are mostly quite minor but would really help improve some of your files.

I did not want to name and shame, as i think it is a little unfair but i think this issue needs to be addressed

1276 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+12 more
ChristineWilde Reviewer says

look at your models you have some very nice models, and i can see alot of them you have put a great deal of time and effort, you have provided files that are relevent and have therefore had sales.

if you want feedback or help to improve them i can do that no problem, but i dont really want to do it out in the open, i will say the sugestion i have are mostly quite minor but would really help improve some of your files.

I did not want to name and shame, as i think it is a little unfair but i think this issue needs to be addressed

I would like some feedback actually. Every little bit of feedback is helpful. Just send me an email through my profile. I’ve tried to create models that people will actually need and use for future projects.

There some some amazing models on here that stand out and they are the ones that will get the sales.

21 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
realityengine says

Artists buying models that they did not create for a game development job THEY got hired for is very unethical and is not done by professionals.. Even as a starting point.. What gives some 3D Modeler the right to just buy a model and use it in game dev when in the end YOU get credit while the original artist goes unsung…

Some studios buy models from Sites like Envato or Turbosquid and that is different.. It goes through the proper channels to assure that a license is aquired and credits its creators…

Someone who may have been hired as an environment Artist (for example) has no right to buy a model and use it in the manner you are writing about.

Maybe i read it incorrectly but, it is very insulting and someone who cant meet deadlines for a project and resorts to the method stated above should be fired on the spot.

20 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
AstonMatt says
Someone who may have been hired as an environment Artist (for example) has no right to buy a model and use it in the manner you are writing about.

thats a big part of what happens here, especially on AD and TF… templates are bought on behalf of a client and I would bet less than 50% inform their client that its actually a template even though that is the rule…

2097 posts
  • Gold Mo Grower
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says
Artists buying models that they did not create for a game development job THEY got hired for is very unethical and is not done by professionals.. Even as a starting point.. What gives some 3D Modeler the right to just buy a model and use it in game dev when in the end YOU get credit while the original artist goes unsung…

Some studios buy models from Sites like Envato or Turbosquid and that is different.. It goes through the proper channels to assure that a license is aquired and credits its creators…

Maybe i read it incorrectly but, it is very insulting and someone who cant meet deadlines for a project and resorts to the method stated above should be fired on the spot.

The clients are told and asked if they want custom models, and warned that it will take longer but alot of client are not bothered as they want the work done quicker than is possible to with the given time frame,

Alot of things in the real world are done slap dash as deadlines are always looming, good artists do use other people work when needed but in all cases it has be stated and in about 50% of case the company get in touch with the original artist and put them on the books for freelance modelling!

21 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
realityengine says

The clients are told and asked if they want custom models, and warned that it will take longer but alot of client are not bothered as they want the work done quicker than is possible to with the given time frame,

Alot of things in the real world are done slap dash as deadlines are always looming, good artists do use other people work when needed but in all cases it has be stated and in about 50% of case the company get in touch with the original artist and put them on the books for freelance modelling!

Im calling bullshit on this right now. In all my time working in games, NO ONE has ever done this. Anything outsourced was done on an executive level and properly licensed. Our art director would go to our producer and producer would go to the publisher..

Your last statement doesnt justify anything.. YOU assume 50% of people dont get credited… where are you getting this information? the previous post? Find me ANY professional games out there that are using models from a stock site and not crediting.

If my team or myself ever had a deadline to meet we didnt buy stock and claim it as our own. WE STAYED till 3am or whenever we needed to to get the job done.

1912 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Canada
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+3 more
TPN Staff says

Hey Guys,

Please watch the language. If it gets out of control, I will have to lock this thread. :(

21 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
realityengine says
Hey Guys, Please watch the language. If it gets out of control, I will have to lock this thread. :(

No problem, its just frustrating to see this mindset and people thinking its OK to do this.

by
by
by
by
by
by