• Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+3 more
revaxarts says

Hi guys!

Seems there was a problem with the zip extensions. Should be working now!

Thanks!

906 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+1 more
greenline says

It works now, I just tried it. We love you for this tool :)

242 posts JoomFX.com
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Bulgaria
joomfx says

Thanks Xaver :)

804 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Philippines
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
uziiuzair says

@revaxart, I would like to thank you for making this, Your Documenter has saved my life countless number of times :D

1 post
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
TrangBT says

Hi! Documenter is greatest tools for me! But there is problem with images, when I past link images for Documenter, it automatic render images in images file after I builded.It made file document of me too large. How do you help me? Thanks!

3 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
microvb says

Several problems with this system which could be tuned by developers if revx released this as a download.

• No support for embedding custom images
  • Default empty box allows you to enter data, but is erased when creating a category for the first time
  • Logo does not scale
  • “Code” blocks are ugly and badly formatted. – I would add CodeMirror to this for inlaid code segments
  • The WYSIWG is very clunky and is missing some basic commands. Tables are definitely not user friendly.
  • Post to server doesn’t work 100% of the time.
  • JSON code posted is garbled, and must be unescaped carefully
  • No real easy method to load other projects to copy/paste from
  • Custom templates do not work. The template must be edited by hand after download
  • The output does not accurately reflect what you typed/added to the WYSIWYG control. Significantly different
  • The server is slow which I suspect is the cause for the “autosave” feature to fail periodically and permanently after sometime - Workaround: Always copy the “JSON” code block before switching sections as it has “crashed” a number of times with a server error.

There are a number of other issues, all of which could be addressed if the project was released. I have stopped using this for the above listed reasons.

If the project is no longer being supported, or modified, and the developer refuses to release the code, there is very little benefit to the community for this project especially with new Documentation builders coming out (which I suspect is also because they too are frustrated with the bad user experience)

Responsive Documentation Generator
MC Documentation Creator

While the above examples may not be perfect, at least they release the source code and offer comparable features which can be expanded upon. MC Documentation Creator doesn’t allow for download of the documentation, however RDG does and mimic’s this builder in almost every way.

Please release the source and stop using this as a traffic boost with link-back.

Thanks.

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+3 more
revaxarts says

^ Hi myrddinwylt!

Thanks for the feedback! The Documenter was made to help Envato authors in the first place. It was never intended to release its source. The main reason for this decision is the undocumented source and the support it demands afterwards.

Also if I would sell it here some users would be offset when I close the online version.

Yes, I link to my profile on the Documenter but why not? Please give me a good reason not to do so.

The mentioned items which are available for sale just took the idea (no problem of course) but also just bluntly copy chunks of my product without changes. This means the author has either barely own ideas or my ideas are worth to takeover.

I know the Documenter needs some updates but since this is a free product and I have limit spare time I have to postpone it

All the best
Xaver

3 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
microvb says

revxarts,

Thank you for your reply to this.

I am not dismissing that the builder you wrote, was done with the best intention to satisfy a need that was missing.

I also understand the time issue you are having. This is the reason that I request that you release the code for the project as this would help the community much more than a closed source hosted version. As a community, edits can be made by those who do have bits of time they can spare to adjust it – and if you are up for it—sync those changes with you.

What I see with your project is that it served a purpose, but was written rather quickly, and then was abandoned leaving a lot of issues still open.

I am not saying that you must sell it; simply release the code to the community so that this can be expanded upon under a GNU license of some sort so you can retain the original copyright license while giving developers the freedom to expand it.

This would make this tool more useful to the community, which if that was your intention when releasing it hosted, would satisfy that as well. – And yes, I did notice that “Responsive Documentation Generator” does mimic your interface to an extent—including using Pretify. I did not fully analyze the source to compare with the front-facing side of your Documenter, but it does appear to be a copy without giving you credit for it (Something I do not agree with).

As far as the branding of the output is concerned, you are correct – it is 100% up to you whether or not to brand, however there are other ways to do this without forcing a forward facing link such as the use of Meta tags “AUTHOR”.

Lastly - This was a good project. It has been abandoned with many issues left unaddressed, and no one to continue carrying the torch in your understandable absence. While that is your right to do so, it detracts from the benefit this tool has for the community as more time goes on with serious issues remaining.

I am merely asking for you to release this to the community so that we can make any necessary adjustments (not for sale or redistribution, with proper attribution made to you), or for you to give it the love that it desperately needs. If the latter, I would recommend use of a commercial editor such as CuteEdit PHP, or Innovastudio (prefer the first as it’s not as wonky), and that sessions can be saved using the more modern Browser based database, supporting multiple project selection/merging/etc.

Thanks in advance.

by
by
by
by
by
by