47 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in Canada
lawhater says

Most designers are very creative. Though some like me, who aren’t very spiced in this. So what is making me from not making something stunning is that a thought of not “copying” someone. For example, I like the way the forums are using sIFR fonts and how creattica.com has huge boxes that really wrap around a post.

So, if I do something like that, is is ethically wrong and something that would leave what I’d like to call Ethical footprint?

Also, when I say I would do something like that, I don’t mean I would steal their work and their code or anything like that. I just mean, what if I used similar color (white color for the boxes and so forth).. is that wrong? I am not “stealing” Envato’s hard work, I am just taking inspiration right?

Thanks. I know that people’s ethical views are varied so if everyone posts and lets me know, I would really be happy.

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
blabus says

That’s precisely what design is- looking at existing work, figuring out why it works, and then figuring out how to incorporate it into your own work and then improving upon it. Very few ‘breakthrough’ completely original ideas occur, at least in relation to work that’s done based on those ideas.

Remember, “getting inspiration” is just a nice way of saying ” ‘borrowing’ ideas”. :)

960 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
jeffeatworld says
47 posts
  • Located in Canada
lawhater says

Makes sense. Thanks.

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
contempoinc says
forums are using sIFR fonts

Its actually using Cufón, a relatively new font replacement technique for the web

2952 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says
Its actually using Cufón, a relatively new font replacement technique for the web

Isn’t it Fontface or something like that ? :)

2952 posts
+10 more
DDStudios says
Most designers are very creative. Though some like me, who aren’t very spiced in this. So what is making me from not making something stunning is that a thought of not “copying” someone. For example, I like the way the forums are using sIFR fonts and how creattica.com has huge boxes that really wrap around a post.

So, if I do something like that, is is ethically wrong and something that would leave what I’d like to call Ethical footprint?

Also, when I say I would do something like that, I don’t mean I would steal their work and their code or anything like that. I just mean, what if I used similar color (white color for the boxes and so forth).. is that wrong? I am not “stealing” Envato’s hard work, I am just taking inspiration right?

Thanks. I know that people’s ethical views are varied so if everyone posts and lets me know, I would really be happy.

Here is a portion of an interview I did for Themeforest’s blog. I hope it will help you.

Q : With each new item your work is more impressive than the last. This suggest you learn quickly and spend time teaching yourself. What have you focused on learning since becoming an author?

A: Thanks for saying that, it’s really nice.

The main difference is that at the beginning, I was trying to reinvent the wheel. I didn’t look at the other design because I didn’t want to copy, I wanted to be different. I realize that it was good and it was bad at the same time because what I was doing wouldn’t sell because buyers want what they see on the web you know. So I began to really look at other designs and study them, asking myself why I love a design in particular. Now every time I see something I like, I take a screenshot and I save it in a folder.. I have tons of menus, logos, color schemes, etc., etc. and I look at them daily. I’m not scared to be inspired anymore because I know at the end, it won’t look like anything else because at some point in the design, I get really inspired and excited and this is where the fun begins. This is why I try new colors, new layouts, etc., etc. Now like I said, I will focus my energy only on design because I am working with 3 awesome developers so be ready for 2010, DDStudios is going to be HUGE !”

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
contempoinc says

Naw, it’s definitely Cufón, from the source:

<script src="/javascripts/type/cufon-yui.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="/javascripts/type/Open_Modata.font.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
53 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
templateup says

<script src="/javascripts/type/Open_Modata.font.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

That’s only for a few headers, most is using css3 -fontface.

2952 posts
+10 more
DDStudios says

You mean on this forum right here ?

by
by
by
by
by
by