462 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Malta
NeuronFX says

Hi guys… I need to change the mask “inverted” property of a layer, by using checkbox control in an other composition. Is this possible? Thanks :)

You can only expressionize keyframeable properties. So no, it’s not. Not directly at least.

I can only think of one way to do it. You would create two identical masks, but have one inverted and one not inverted. One has Mask Opacity 0 and the other Mask Opacity 100. The checkbox simply switches those Mask Opacities.

You gotta think round corners a bit sometimes with After Effects. :)

Thanks felt tips :) That’s what I was doing till now… but wanted to see if there’s a shorter option… but still works really great like this :)

462 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Malta
NeuronFX says

Hi guys… I need to change the mask “inverted” property of a layer, by using checkbox control in an other composition. Is this possible? Thanks :)

You can only expressionize keyframeable properties. So no, it’s not. Not directly at least.

I can only think of one way to do it. You would create two identical masks, but have one inverted and one not inverted. One has Mask Opacity 0 and the other Mask Opacity 100. The checkbox simply switches those Mask Opacities.

You gotta think round corners a bit sometimes with After Effects. :)

Thanks felt tips :) That’s what I was doing till now… but wanted to see if there’s a shorter option… but still works really great like this :) Actually it can be beneficial, since you can attach it to a slider control, and make the transition more gradual.

205 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
Leupsi says

Hi, is it possible to link an effect to two controlers?
For example i have a composition “1” and a composition “2” ready to render.
In both compositions there’s an angle control effect to customize the color from the “3” precomp.

Now i want to link the effect controler from comp “1” and “2” to the precomp “3” to affect the already created effect in it.
If i change the color in comp “1”, comp “2” should adopt the same color and the other way round, too.

So easy said, two layers in different compositions with an angel expression control, should affect an effect in a third composition.

Hope you can understand that! :D Best regards, Julian

2036 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

If it doesn’t matter to have the exact same value as you set in comp 1 and comp 2, but to be able to make changes relative to the current value, you can add the properties.

so angle control in comp 3 = angle1 + angle 2

you then can make changes in comp1 and comp2, but only relative, not absolute.

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Hi, is it possible to link an effect to two controlers?
For example i have a composition “1” and a composition “2” ready to render.
In both compositions there’s an angle control effect to customize the color from the “3” precomp.

Now i want to link the effect controler from comp “1” and “2” to the precomp “3” to affect the already created effect in it.
If i change the color in comp “1”, comp “2” should adopt the same color and the other way round, too.

So easy said, two layers in different compositions with an angel expression control, should affect an effect in a third composition.

Hope you can understand that! :D Best regards, Julian

No… expression links only work one way. You can’t link effect 1 to follow effect 2 AND effect 2 to follow effect 1. That would be circular.

As Creative suggested, linking to the sum of both of them is the closest you’re likely to get.

115 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
WilQ5 says

How to link Color Controls to a slider control having the colors you want ? With all controlers in one control layer . The idea is to connect 5-10 color controls to one slider wich would change project color preset by just sliding the slider from 1-20 or so …. But still be able to change colors one by one .

I hope you will understand what i mean .

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

How to link Color Controls to a slider control having the colors you want ? With all controlers in one control layer . The idea is to connect 5-10 color controls to one slider wich would change project color preset by just sliding the slider from 1-20 or so …. But still be able to change colors one by one . I hope you will understand what i mean .

The way I do it is to have a null layer called “CONTROLLER” with an expression Slider Control called “Color Scheme”. It could have values of 0, 1, 2 etc. So the user has to select a positive integer, you could use this expression on it

tVal = clamp(Math.floor(value), 0 , 10); // that allows 11 color schemes from 0 to 10

Then I have various expression Color Controllers. You’d need one for each of the colors in each color scheme. Let’s call them “Color 1”, “Color 2” etc.

On the expression for Color 1 would be something like this.

tProp = thisLayer.effect("Color Scheme")(1);
if(tProp.value == 0) {
     rgba = value;
} else if (tProp.value == 1 ) {
    rgba = [0.1,0.34, 0.56, 1]; // the first color of color scheme 1
} else if (tProp.value ==2) {
    rgba = [1, 0.2, 0.4, 1]; //the first color of color scheme 2
}

//.. etc.

You’ll have to type in the colors of the color schemes manually. Then you can simply link the colors of various layers in your project to the Expression Color Controls on this layer. The user can pick one of your color schemes, or set the slider to 0 and make their own custom scheme.

Given the limitations of the expression language, that’s about the best you can do. If you wanted to do any more… for instance allow the user to use one of your color schemes as the basis for a customisation, you’d need to use scripting and the whole thing gets rather more complicated.

115 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
WilQ5 says

Very good works perfectly . But Wat is the best way of choosing a right color i mean a right number for color i want to pick ? Because from a first look it looks like a pain to do it manually :D But anyway Felt_Tips you are genius ! How did you learned this ?

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

Very good works perfectly . But Wat is the best way of choosing a right color i mean a right number How did you learned this ?

Many years of trial and error…. and a Javascript manual.

Unfortunately, you’ll probably need to write the colors in manually.

But instead of writing the values like this [0.392, 0.314, 0.784, 1], you can write them like this…

[100, 80, 200, 255] / 255;

That way you can just copy the RGB numbers out of the color picker. The fourth number is the alpha value and should always be 1… ( or 255 / 255 )

15 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gambia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Pixel_Edge says

Awesomeness!!

by
by
by
by
by
by