40 posts I don't talk much.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
+8 more
kubasto says

About a year ago, in one of discussions about items commenting system, or in an interview with some author, I read an opinion, that the author regretted he hadn’t started his own external support forum earlier. I was at the stage of deciding how to deal with my own items support, and while there were some promises made by Envato stuff, that they would make improvements to the system, I thought I’d wait for it (instead of making buyers leave the site to get support, which I think is not a good thing).

One year later I’m in the same position, and I wonder if I should still wait for the improvements, or start to regret I didn’t open a forum at that time.

I need an advise. Thank you.

226 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
nickys says

I’m in the same spot right now, and I think I’ll go with the external support system. I hate it when the comments section becomes a support forum, the comments are for feedback after all.

I’ll be implementing this theme – http://themeforest.net/item/swiss-premium-vanilla-theme-4-colours/242547?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=designlink

Someone from themeforest recommended it to me, when I was asking a similar question, so there you go :)

812 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
iamthwee says

Could you not use wordpress with bbforums plugin and perhaps either write a support ticket system or just install another ticket plugin?

3007 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
duotive says

Go for bbpress. We did ;):D

812 posts
iamthwee says

Yeah I meant bbpress. Seems like the easiest solution. In my opinion it is doubtful that envato are ever going to get round to improving the support system any time soon, as it would be a MASSIVE undertaking. You would practically need a bbforum for each theme or author. Would they have such resources on their servers???

3007 posts
+7 more
duotive says

Yeah I meant bbpress. Seems like the easiest solution.

We used the stand alone version. It’s old, but has the plugins we require for the forums and it works great. :) Also loads faster than the average bear :) 0.9 sec load time.

SelfPublishServices
SelfPublishServices Recent Posts Threads Started
473 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
SelfPublishServices says

I would say, at this point, that I use the ticketing system within WHMCS , but nobody uses it.

The few support questions I’ve had have been within the comments section, and I answered them there.

I noticed a WordPress plugin a couple weeks ago that deals with support and includes the Envato system for checking codes.

812 posts
iamthwee says

Wait… Does WHMCS cost $$?

And you would use that over wordpress with a ticket plugin (which is obviously free)

Hmm… A question to the authors. I always wondered why authors opt for external support with a ticket system. I’m not quite sure what the benefits are? I like the comments section, OK the problems posed are not searchable like in a forum but it seems to get the job done. Authors know who has purchased their files legitimately so there is no extra sign ups and codes for tickets. I’m interested to know what other benefits there are for an external forum. Sorry if this is a newbie question and if I am derailing the original thread I can pose this question in another.

3007 posts
+7 more
duotive says

Benefits? I can keep track of the questions, if the client takes time to answer i see all the conversation there. Your forums have custom fields with WP and FTP details and we do not have to ask them to mess around with emails. Searchable and customers solve their issues without asking anything :) No more emails!!! We have 10.000 emails now, and 99% where support related. I could not do that any more. That is why we have the forums. By the way, are the ticketing systems searchable? I think not, so i find them a waste of time, in this case.

812 posts
iamthwee says

@duotive…

So essentially what you are saying, is if the comment system was searchable and the customers are able to add their WP and FTP details, hidden to the general public but available to the authors. It would be an onsite solution?

Because to me, that isn’t such a huge amount of time or resources to code up into the existing system? Am I correct in assuming this?

by
by
by
by
by
by