3135 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says

Hey guys! creative people! friends! kids!

Me and my team finally finish working on this huge project. Everything is done (video editing, motion graphics, etc) but we are facing a big one now: the rendering of the whole sequence.

We worked with Final Cut (gotta said I love it, my first time with it) and the whole sequence is around 2 hours. We were thinking on using different mac’s to render at the same time or use the network rendering capabilities of Final Cut but we can’t since we only have one license for final cut and whenever we start final cut on more than one computer while connected to the local network, we got a warning message “final cut cant run on multiple machines” and then shuts down.

Since we have so many professionals around here, when you have big renders (and a few time) what are some things to consider, suggestions that may help?

Here is another one: Let’s say you have one mac to do the AE work and another mac to do the renders. What is the best way to exchange the files between both macs/computers? My set up now is a network drive, but I have to transfer all the files from mac 1 to the network and then to mac 2. I know, this is making me look unprofessional, lol.

Thanks for reading and your help. I wish you all the best for this week!

3970 posts After Effects Templates
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 500+ members
+9 more
miseld says

I gues you need multiple license you are using same software on 2 machines? Take a look this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=296906

Btw. Check your email i send you something.

5220 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Most companies I work at use an XServe / Metasan solution. That means that many computers can share raided arrays of hard drives.

If you’re working with image sequences in AE, you can get several machines to render simultaneously. You need to create a ‘watch folder’ on a networked drive and collect the project into that location. Then you set the render engine going on all your computers (I don’t think the render engine is controlled by serial numbers). When a project pops up in the watch folder, they render it, each machine taking the next unrendered frame. Check out multi-machine rendering and watch folder in the AE help.

I’m not sure that Final Cut can network render. You should generally use Final Cut for the cut. Render all the FX on the timeline. Shouldn’t take too long and then just render out. It’s only saving / compressing, so you shouldn’t be looking at any 48 hour renders out of FCP . You could also consider running the program off to tape and delivering a tape. So old school!

-f.

1310 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

when I’ve got monster renders the key for success is render in small bits from ae then composite later in nle, fwiw.. eg one precomp/one section/one small bit at a time, vs a huge render, because those seem to bog down, vs rendering a bunch of bits then sticking them together on the timeline afterwards… Iv’e had 120+ track renders (I use vegas) and monster projects too.. eat an elephant one bite/mini render at a time is the key

5220 posts
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

If you’re finding that big renders are bogging AE down, you could have a look at the secret settings in the preferences.

Hold down shift and select any of the normal preferences and when the preferences dialog comes up, there’ll be an extra secret tab at the end. In here, you can force AE to purge its RAM every X frames during rendering. This will slow down the rendering process a little bit, but if you set it to purge every 100 or so, then you can be pretty much certain that if it renders the first 100, then it will render the rest without any nasty out of memory errors / glitches and the like.

Personally, with big, heavy rendering AE projects, I work a lot with proxies and prerenders. Every night, I’ll set a render going (as a tiff sequence)... it doesn’t matter where it gets to as it’s an image sequence. The next night, I just pick up where it left off.

If you manage your proxies / pre-rendering well throughout a project, you shouldn’t have any major render problems on your hands at the last minute.

And for anyone who isn’t doing already…. always render as image sequences. There are so many advantages, I can’t begin to count them.

I made a tutorial about this over at Vimeo…. nasty renders in AE.

-f.

2241 posts Digital Artist
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+11 more
crozer says

If you’ve got the cash and/or have good contacts, get a render farm – IMHO it is the best solution for quality and fast rendering.

Good luck :)

1310 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

thx felt for the tip re image sequences, didn’t know that… challenge would be importing into vegas timeline I’d think..maybe not a big deal… i like the idea, because rendering into bits and pieces is always better than rendering out huge chunks o video… will check it out, thx

5220 posts
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

There are render farms online if you just want one on an occasional basis.

Otherwise, unless you are a very heavy (probably 3D) user, the expense and hassle of setting up and managing a render farm is probably not worth it.

For AE, I wouldn’t bother. I’d just be more economical with projects. :)

-f.

by
by
by
by
by
by