321 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
squaredWeb says

I dont know, sure it looks like an apple product at first sight, but that is only because of the color / material combination which came to be associted with apple products. If the whole thing would be black no one would say its a clone.

The same goes for the keyboard, if that thing was black no one would argue about it being a clone.

The real question is: is it fair, justified or even rational to associate the basic silver/black color and material combination with apple and call everyone who uses it a thief?

If you look beyond the colors you can see that the mac has a lot more elegance to it in its forms in both the screen and the keyboard. That is what for me makes the difference between apple and others, pure elegance, not a colorcombination.

If that monitor is seen as a clone we might as well stop designing altogether because that is how design evolves and always evolved, in little steps inspired by previous things.

3723 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Moderator says

it’s not just the iMac… they’ve copied the magic trackpad and keyboard too.

5179 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

I dont know, sure it looks like an apple product at first sight, but that is only because of the color / material combination which came to be associted with apple products. If the whole thing would be black no one would say its a clone.

So the question is “why is it not black?”. HP is a computer manufacturer. They’re well aware of Apple’s product design and they’re well aware of the similarity of the Spectre One to the iMac. If they’re not, then the entire design team deserves to be sacked. This is not something that has just happened by chance. This is something that has been done deliberately to try and cash in on Apple’s brand appeal and success. The question for me is not about an accidental resemblance to an Apple product or Apple’s ownership of the rectangle, but about the intent and perhaps audacity of the manufacturer in producing a product that is immediately recognised by a great many people for what it is…

Regarding Dieter Rams and Braun, 50 years and different product functionality separate Apple and Braun. It’s a very clear influence, one that Jonathan Ive has always acknowledged and that Dieter Rams has expressed his opinion about: namely that he’s flattered. It’s very hard to characterise this design influence as an attempt to cash-in on Braun’s market. This is quite an interesting article…

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/09/10/if-apple-can-copy-braun-then-why-cant-samsung-copy-apple/
The allegation about Samsung is not that they made a toaster that looked very like an Apple iPhone. It’s that they made a smartphone that looked very like an Apple smartphone.

Dieter Rams and Jony Ive talk about design:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ahtHKCQUD2k
320 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
jwmcpeak says

@Siddharth :P

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I am so thankful the DWM was introduced in Vista.

3749 posts
  • Located in Spain
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

It’s the iMac’s younger, uglier brother. The one that got held back a few years so it’s taking him a bit to catch up. He also doesn’t do so well with the ladies.

And in the darkness and lonelyness of his bedroom, he looks proud his bigger…
monitor.

3715 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

Wait, isn’t that the same HP line that cloned the Macbook Air last spring? :chuckle:

I’m not even sure I can take HP seriously as an innovating computer company anymore these days..

It’s the iMac’s younger, uglier brother. The one that got held back a few years so it’s taking him a bit to catch up. He also doesn’t do so well with the ladies.
monitor.

Nice one :P

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

monitor.

:D

263 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
W3llm4n says

As a wise man said..” If it’s look a lot like a copy.. then..definitely is a copy..” My 2 cents.

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

Apple copied Braun. Now what?

3749 posts
  • Located in Spain
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

Apple copied Braun. Now what?

Now HP copied Apple. Please, Emanuele, read threads backwards.

:P

by
by
by
by
by
by