131 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeWork says

got the new code 2.0

I just purchased Coda 2.0, awesome UI, (and UI animation’s ;) )...and the usage is great imo, at least it’s improved for the better!

Espresso is nice but I’m liking coda 2.0 more, especially from an aesthetic point of view

2195 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+13 more
mpc says

Thanks Kriesi for this, I will wait and for now use Coda 1, what I was really hoping for was good code completion/hinting and code folding…

Heh I bought it, I am not sure why but I just want to see for myself and 49$ is a good price, I love the interface we will see how it will improve the workflow..

753 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
AdamGold says

Coda is the only reason I would switch to Mac, so I’m not even looking at this :D

I used to say the same thing but once I switched to Mac and downloaded TextMate I never looked back.

Coda 2 looks good for sure but I don’t like all those bloated editors, all I want is to write code.

Used to use TextMate, switched to Sublime Text 2 and never looked back :D

Using Coda for big PHP projects, Espresso for HTML projects and Sublime Text for every little project :) All three are just AWESOME .

Anyway, about the new Coda – It is really cool, only thing I am missing is a shortcut to quickly switch between tabs..

632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

Don’t understand why they have made it Mac only? They’d get a heap load more sales if they also developed it for Windows, as Windows actually lacks a decent editor :(

316 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
SyamilMJ says

Don’t understand why they have made it Mac only? They’d get a heap load more sales if they also developed it for Windows, as Windows actually lacks a decent editor :(

I disagree. If there’s anything equivalent of Notepad++ on Mac I’ll dump espresso right away.

4336 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

I disagree. If there’s anything equivalent of Notepad++ on Mac I’ll dump espresso right away.
http://www.sublimetext.com/2

BTW did you all read Jeffrey Way’s review — http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/reviews/coda-2-review/

316 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
SyamilMJ says

Just did, thanks for the links :)

Well if my opinions are worth anything, I had a few test runs with Coda 2 and didn’t really fancy the process of switching between projects. To be exact:

1 – You will lose all your opened tabs when switching between projects. All unsaved files must be saved first. If you’re trying to work on a few different projects at the same time then this could be a tiring, tedious task.

2 – Espresso has this multiple windows/project which is really awesome to speed up productivity. Coda 2 is a one-window solution. It can help you focus if that’s your thing but I find this a little too restrictive.

3 – The breadcrumbs are annoying and redundant. Tried to find a way to turn it off but no luck yet.

Other than that, I have no interest in all the yada yada since I am mostly looking for an editor, not an all-in-one IDE . I believe that some thing are better left to stand alone app.

But on the plus note the searching function is extremely fast, which is useful if you want to regularly search inside a big project, e.g. the WordPress core files.

Jeffrey made a fair point at the end of the article:

Bells and whistles are great, but, when you get down to it, there’s nothing overly innovative here.

Will spend some time with sublime text 2 to see if it’s anything like Notepad++ now :)

41 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
thememates says

got the new code 2.0

I just purchased Coda 2.0, awesome UI, (and UI animation’s ;) )...and the usage is great imo, at least it’s improved for the better!

Espresso is nice but I’m liking coda 2.0 more, especially from an aesthetic point of view

Developers don’t need animations and pretty UIs.

I think it’s a natural that when a company improves a product nearly to perfection then it starts making it rubbish.

Take OS X Lion as an example, it brought many improvements and borrowed a lot of features from iOS but Apple ruined some of the usability features by introducing more and more animations. One such example is of Finder application in which if you sort the files/folders by Kind then you get an accordion like menu which is a usability killer feature because I cannot see all the files/folders sorted by Kind in OS X Lion. It was perfect in OS X Snow Leopard.

I think Apple has started to follow Microsoft a little bit :D

426 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
SimpleSites4U says

Notepad++ portable is the mutts nuts :)

1435 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

I move from Textmate – Coda – Sublime Text 2. Period.

by
by
by
by
by
by