248 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • United Kingdom
dwhitmore says

I never take into account ratings when I buy an item. Looking at the comments is much more useful.

As a regular buyer I do, and I suspect lots of others do.

If an item only has 4 stars I’ll check out the comments etc, but if its 3* and below I’ll probably disregard the item – I’ll assume that there’s something wrong it.

I think it’s extremely important that a few idiots can’t ruin your item’s sales, there should definitely be a system for disputing the rating :).

Dan

303 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
ThemeGoods says

Or at least display 4.5 stars instead of 4, 3.5 instead of 3….

But kailoon’s suggestion is a good choice also.

1734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
VisualSharing says

If an item only has 4 stars I’ll check out the comments etc, but if its 3* and below I’ll probably disregard the item – I’ll assume that there’s something wrong it.

Yes – wrong buyers. :D

If an item has 3- rating, I’ll look carefully at the comments – those who were so disappointed have expressed their anger for sure.

814 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Serbia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
rvision_ says

turkishbox is right, those kind of people will give you a poor rating, no matter what you do.

The purpose of this rating system should be to give the buyers a little guidance, but that’s not what it’s doing.

It basically shows if the author offers good support, and if any of ‘those kind of people’ purchased the item before.

Support is voluntary, which makes this whole rating fake.

Even if it wasn’t, the problem is you can’t measure support quality with that kind of scale, it is a subjective impression, and different for every buyer.

I think the following facts make the rating obsolete:

• very high quality standards – you can’t buy crap here
  • refund system – if it doesn’t work you’ll get your money back
  • the documentation has to be very extensive
  • there is a demo or a screenshot for everything – nobody is buying a pig in a poke

+1

Exactly to the point.

Or at least display 4.5 stars instead of 4, 3.5 instead of 3…. But kailoon’s suggestion is a good choice also.

I suggested this also, long time ago.

1799 posts
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
BroOf says

Or we should change the rating system into fav system? If you like it, fav it, else, don’t do anything.

So, which mean, if you have 50 purchases and you have 40 favs, it means something. But if you have only 20 favs, it doesn’t look ugly too :)

Further, it is easier for buyer to fav rather than choose the 5 options ( 1 – 5 stars ), I guess, they may fav more :)

+999

I love this idea! It’s much simpler and looks much better! To change the database will be a pain but it would be worth!

1734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
VisualSharing says

Or we should change the rating system into fav system? If you like it, fav it, else, don’t do anything.

So, which mean, if you have 50 purchases and you have 40 favs, it means something. But if you have only 20 favs, it doesn’t look ugly too :)

Further, it is easier for buyer to fav rather than choose the 5 options ( 1 – 5 stars ), I guess, they may fav more :)

Better do something like amazon’s rating – show how many votes for each star. And maybe make it mandatory to add a comment when rating.

1426 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+10 more
kailoon Reviewer says

Better do something like amazon’s rating – show how many votes for each star. And maybe make it mandatory to add a comment when rating.
“I rate 1 star because the documentation is too long for me to read and I think that theme should work in 1 click. This author is not helpful at all, he/she never reply to my email. Support MUST be 7/24, this is online business. I want my money back!”
1734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
VisualSharing says

“I rate 1 star because the documentation is too long for me to read and I think that theme should work in 1 click. This author is not helpful at all, he/she never reply to my email. Support MUST be 7/24, this is online business. I want my money back!”

Exactly!

When I see such a jerk comment, I would know the theme is just fine and the low rating is inadequate.

178 posts Challenge accepted.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Austria
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
bloooming says

I’ve purchased an item on here and I gave the author a 3 star rating. The reason I did that is because the Author wasn’t aware of Google Adwords standards. I feel if you are designing landing pages you should have a strong knowledge of Google Adwords as 90% of landing pages in the advertising industry are used in conjunction with Pay Per Click Search Engine Marketing Campaigns.

Hey xstortionist,

sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one – I don’t think your rating was fair.

I’m no landing page or Adwords expert ether, and you obviously know exactly how a landing page with ‘Google Adwords standards’ has to look like.

So, I’m just curious: Why didn’t you explore the code of the demo BEFORE the purchase, instead of punishing the author afterwards?

178 posts Challenge accepted.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Austria
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
bloooming says

You purchased the ‘oceanic’ right? Just tested the demo, there is nothing encrypted.

Even if it was obfuscated, the final outcome is always plain XHTML , otherwise a browser wouldn’t be able to interpret it.

Because of this, every developer console (Firebug, Safari web inspector ..) shows you all the code un-encrypted, so you can test and explore everything.

That’s why those obfuscators are pretty much useless, because every semi-pro web designer knows how to bypass them. So, we have a “what you see is what you get” situation here. And that’s where I’m an expert in ;-)

Sorry, I don’t want to offend you, just give you an idea what impact your 3-star rating has.

You could have talked to the author before the purchase, and remind him of the ‘imperfections’ in his template, he probably doesn’t even know.

He most certainly would have fixed the item, and you would have gotten the template you wanted, without having to invest time yourself.

Instead, we have this situation now: The potential buyers are now misinformed, the impression is that there is something wrong with the item, but the rating is still the opinion of one single person.

The author is probably frustrated about the rating, because he doesn’t know why this happened.

The author and – as a consequence – Themeforest are losing money, because the item is selling less…..

Know what I mean?

by
by
by
by
by
by