4 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
tokionoko says
Amazon & Ebay both require a comment when giving a rating… doesn’t seem to stop their users :)

This is true. I think it would be just be a matter of getting used to and I wouldn’t mind giving extra feedback to justify a rating.

I’d like this if the rating is a higher rating… NOT a lower… I don’t see how a item can get worse after you’ve rated it high, other than if they think your support is poor…

One example I can think of that would justify a lower rating could be a case where a file proved to not have the features as advertised. Sometimes this might not be discovered until the file has been used over a period of time. (I’m thinking of some of the larger CodeCanyon or ActiveDen files here)

Maybe a little off topic, but I’m in favor of access limits on items… it would solve your problem here… and $35 (which an author receives between $18-$25) shouldn’t mean life time access to support and item improvements… this would encourage Authors to improve their items so that new and old customers will keep putting money into them… a theme can get better… however there’s ZERO incentive for an Author to do so after it has fallen into the abyss… 2 cents

I’ve seen many authors who’ve made a separate file for versions. I think that’s just fine if a file has been re-worked as it essentially is a new file.

I think, yes, support, if offered, should be for a limited time but it would be nice as a buyer to have an indication if a file no longer works or if the author is no longer available to answer questions. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if a file still works or if an author has gone awol.

4 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
tokionoko says
@tokionoko

Thanks for that explination. It’s great to hear from buyer’s perspective on this topic seeing as it’s so important to authors. Not to mention a bit heated from time to time :)

I’m not so sure how I feel about the “re-rating” idea. Of course I’m in favor of increasing a rating ;). I think one reason I’m hesitant is long term support. I have some buyers that think I’m their personal IT department and email me about EVERYTHING . Even months after a purchase they’ll contact me to ask if I know why their internet connection is going out or can’t get email’s (not theme related). I also get theme questions from these users long term, and that’s fine, but after 20+ questions from a single person I get a little worn out and the responses take longer. I’d hate to get my rating decreased because a customer didn’t like me taking a few days answering their 56th question 4 months after purchasing. Maybe it could be within 2-3 days of purchasing you can change the rating?

Thanks @Parallelus!

I agree. Some folks have unrealistic expectations.

298 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
Art101 says

This is exactly what I am looking for!!

546 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Bebel says

a reasonable, good improvement of the rating system

284 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Slovakia
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
alchymista says

This is exactly what I am looking for!!

+1 Very good system. When this idea will be implemented?

1814 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+8 more
Mocarg Volunteer moderator says

A simple popup saying “Are you sure you want to rate with stars” would be nice.

-m.

1575 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
contempoinc says

+1, dig the ratings breakdown idea

-1 on the re-rating idea, having a “Are you sureā€¦” modal window to confirm the rating as Mocarg suggested above would be a much better solution.

331 posts Andre28 - Envato Elite Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Italy
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
andre28 says

+1 definitely i would like to know exactly what people think about my items ;)

36 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
hunzonian says

Yes! The rating as well as the product comment system sorely needs improvement. I mean urgently…!

It has become common practice among competing authors to ruin the rating of a product and to leave damaging comments using anonymous accounts. They are easy to spot because they never provide any profile or location details.

Also, buyers, potential buyers and false flag operations by competing authors can hold a developer hostage by requesting unreasonable help and information. If the author does not comply, the product can get damaging comments and poor ratings that is beyond reason with the author having absolutely zero control over what’s going on.

In a perfect world, what we currently have would work fine, but the world is far from perfect and it makes no sense to favor the customer more than the hand that feeds the marketplace.

A rating system as suggested above would be a great start and I vote for it wholeheartedly.

+1

1612 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+5 more
DaniMun says

I’m not against getting low ratings if the item deserves them, on the contrary. However, giving less than 4 stars without stating the reason behind the low rating is not only absolutely useless for the unhappy buyer, but also highly damaging for the author. This way, instead of helping the author to improve the item so that the buyers that have already bought the item and also any potential ones can benefit from the better code and/or feature(s) implementation, they’re left with the same, possibly faulty item.

Long story short – giving a low rating without clearly stating the reason behind it is a highly unfair practice. Something has to be done to prevent that from happening ever again.

Until then, dear buyers, please don’t jump to rating the file before actually making sure that the problem you’re facing is caused by the item itself. Also, please make sure that you carefully read the file description before purchasing it, and contact the author if the item is not working properly. Most of the times, even if it’s not always their obligation, the author will help you fix the issue. If you still want to give the file a low rating, please state your reason. Use constructive, not destructive criticism. Do the right thing. We authors deserve and always appreciate that.

by
by
by
by
by
by