951 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
Giallo says

I had some spare time so I just wanted to leave you a couple of suggestions, because I started from zero, 100% online self taught and alone, as many of you, and I know howw much it can be hard to design something acceptable.

The approach many of you have right now is:
- watch tutorials
- know all about Photoshop
- I’m a good graphic designer

Unfortunately is not that easy.

Many of you still think knowing perfectly Photoshop means to be a good graphic designer, but no it doesn’t work like that. Or that who sells many files here is a good graphic designer, or viceversa. but is not neither… Many Authors who made a ton of sales are terrible graphic designers, and this may confuse some of you.

Look Blogs and websites like Behance, Dribbble, FFFFOUND, Creattica etc… to try to understand what is considered good graphic design today, and you’ll see the difference with what’s here right now.

I know how many of you work: you open Photoshop or Illustrator and start to design random, with no criteria, with no concept behind, with no idea of what you’re doing, just make a remix of something you saw and liked, just copy a bit that thing that I saw and liked.

Good, but you’ll never be satisfied, neither unique or considered a designer. Once you’ll start understanding others people designs, you can start making yours.

Most common errors are inconsistency and lack of concept: if you’re making a flyer for christmas? So every line, every element, the typography, the message, the colors, must be consistent each other and linked by the main concept: the clearer it is, the better your design.

In graphic design and communication design there are 2 main aspects: -1 the concept -2 the threatment

The concept is the idea behind your design, wich connections you’re doing and what is the message, while the threatment is how you translate the concept into graphic signs and language. I want to design a “burning flyer”? My concept is: flames-hot-burning-onfire-dangerous…. The threatment is the fun part because you can stay illustrative, you can go for realism, or both mixed…this is the most fun part, but there must be a concept behind. Many of you only talk abot the threathment, and ignore the existance of a concept. Is so eveident some of you just start directly into Photoshop, without even scratching an idea, or making some brainstorming and research before.

When you design don’t recycle old things, start always from a new concept and design new elements, you’ll get better faster and earn more much faster, otherwise it means you’re mixing the same things over and over, this ain’t design and you will loose time and skills.

Graphic design is awesome in this aspect because is “forever”: once you learn something basic, it’s yours, forever. So focus on improving, you’ll get better from year to year.

There are A TON of free books about design and graphic design. They will teach you how to improve, and what’s behind the graphic design process, or the history of graphic design: https://www.google.it/search?q=graphic+design&tbm=bks&tbo=1&hl=it&oq=graphic

Follow your instinct, design what you love, in the style that comes more easy, and try to change style always, challenge yourself: change your perspective (style) continuosly, you will find your own style.

The more culture you have, the better designs you’ll do, because you’re able to make more connections, lateral thinking and deeper concepts. Search and accept critiques from people much better than you

Hope it helps!

1051 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+5 more
Alexlasek says

great!

291 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Egypt
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
LunarDesigns says

Well said .

1243 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
SomethingDesign says

Many of you still think knowing perfectly Photoshop means to be a good graphic designer, but no it doesn’t work like that.

This should be more emphasis. If you learn Photoshop doesn’t means you become a Graphic Designer. Start with those books http://www.designer-daily.com/10-design-books-to-consider-for-graphic-design-students-18213

951 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
Giallo says

Many of you still think knowing perfectly Photoshop means to be a good graphic designer, but no it doesn’t work like that.

This should be more emphasis. If you learn Photoshop doesn’t means you become a Graphic Designer. Start with those books http://www.designer-daily.com/10-design-books-to-consider-for-graphic-design-students-18213

me myself…. worst error

37 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
EmirCemanovic says

Well written mate! The only thing i can do is agree with you!
Emir Cemanovic

502 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+2 more
hueyangdesigns says

I learned photoshop in 1 day, and now I’m a pro. 8-)

291 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Egypt
+1 more
LunarDesigns says

Good for you :D

502 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+2 more
hueyangdesigns says

Good for you :D

:) it was a joke.

3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

I recommend getting a big book about the history of graphic design, with lots of illustrations. It’s great to understand the origin of the various movements and styles of design. Also design has played a big roll in our history and culture, which is great to learn about.

by
by
by
by
by
by